Coopers Community

Working out cube hop amounts?

MitchBastard

Howdy. I’m going to do another AG pale ale next up and was going to split my 23ltr wort into two 10ltr cubes and cube hop with each batch with different hops.

how does one go about working out amounts to cube Hop with to allow for bitterness gained this way  and at what temps?

is the usual bittering hop added to the boil?

was thinking a cascade/Amarillo batch

and a was also looking for a suggestion as to the other one. What’s yer fav combos?

Thank y’all.

Hey Mitch, 

I pretty much cube hop everything that’s a pale or ipa that I make. 

For a pale at 27 litres I cube with a 60-70g hop (hop dependant). So do the maths, but around 25g for your 10 litres. This is for my tastes though, you’ll need to sort yours out as you go. 

I cube at around 82c and allow for a 10 min addition at that time in BeerSmith. This doesn’t give much bitterness at all but still good for knowing what it does add. 

One of my favourite hop combos in a pale is cascade and mosaic. 2/3 Cascade 1/3 mosaic.

My usual hop regime is a FWH then a steep at flame out (97c) then a cube hop. 

As for your cascade Amarillo batch, I’d use just a little more cascade to Amarillo ratio as I find cascade can get lost in those more punchy hops. 

Edited by The Captain!!
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, MitchBastard said:

how long do you let the cube sit around for before it goes into the FV? 

Mine usually sit for a few days. Usually. 

3 hours ago, MitchBastard said:

Are you still dry hopping at the same ratios when cube hopping?

I dry hop at different rates to achieve different aroma in a beer. It also changes with total hop oil content of that hop. Vic Secret I only recently found out has an enormous amount of hop oil content so my first try at an ipa with that, turns out WAY over the top. It was like a double dry hopped something. Way too aggressive. 

Honestly, dry hopping for me has just come along with experience using that hop then experimenting with it in different combinations.

when I started I did a lot of beers using the same malt bill and bittering hop, then single hopped for flavour and aroma. 

It was the best 12 months of my brewing life ha ha ha. But I got to know what each hop I used done. Then I started on combos..............it’ll never end.......

• Like 1
  • Haha 1