Coopers Community

More on the topic of bleach in the brewery

ChristinaS1

19 minutes ago, BlackSands said:

Probably something like these...

No-Rinse Cleanser

Thanks BlackSands. Are they intended for cleaning a FV post brewing, or as a no-rinse sanitizer prior to brewing? I ask because it says no-rinse. I read that sodium percabonate can be used for both cleaning and sanitizing, but is the dose the same? Or is the dose for cleaning higher?

Cheers,

Christina.

Edited by ChristinaS1

10 minutes ago, ChristinaS1 said:

Thanks BlackSands. Are they intended for cleaning a FV post brewing, or as a no-rinse sanitizer prior to brewing? I ask because it says no-rinse. I read that sodium percabonate can be used for both cleaning and sanitizing, but is the dose the same? Or is the dose for cleaning higher?

Cheers,

Christina.

I'm actually more familiar with the Mangrove Jacks kits which provided both a 25g pack of cleaner (sodium carbonate) and 25g of no-rinse sanitiser (sodium percarbonate).   They were intended to clean and sanitise the FV and the 30 x 750ml PET's provided.  Boith dissolved in 5 litres of water.

I only ever use sodium percarbonate for cleaning though it is marketed as a no-rinse sanitiser so I guess the 25g/5 litres water was considered enough to sanitise.   

16 minutes ago, NewBrews said:

The kilo I got from my LHBS recently had 30g Perc to 10l water on the packet so I’ve been working on that basis. It’s probably a little high as it gets difficult to get it all dissolved at that rate. 

Use hot tap water, it will dissolve over a few hours or so. I only ever use it for soaking things so it doesn't really matter how long it sits there. 

It'll dissolve in cold water too but it takes longer. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, ChristinaS1 said:

Think I heard the same interview as you with the creator of Starsan. But that is more of a sanitizer than a cleaning method, isn't it? 

Cheers,

Christina.

Correct. Apologies it was a bit off topic but that comment was in response to quite a few posts about "sanitising". Cheers.

• Like 1

I've been trying to photograph the oily/yeasty residue I often see forming on my bottles, and what I assume also builds up on the inside of my fermenter. Finally the light was just right to allow me to get a revealing shot.   This is a pretty extreme, (somewhat digitally enhanced) example of what I routinely see.  This bottle was cleaned with dilute bleach and then filled a day later after thorough rinsing.  The beer was a simple kit and extract with a total of 50g late boil hops.  This is an early tasting after just 2 weeks in the bottle. The beer is great but just look at the state of the bottle!  😨    

Residue-1.jpg

Edited by BlackSands
  • Sad 2

1 hour ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

That would be yeast visible there. Oily stuff wouldn't really be visible in that situation. 

Yeah... as it happens it's largely washed away with a good rinse... BUT, I suspect this could also be the start of the oily build up I often experience... invisible initially but, without a thorough cleaning, I reckon eventually, after a few more batches, a residue would start to appear.   

On 6/17/2019 at 9:59 AM, ChristinaS1 said:

Would you mind measuring how many grams of one of your scoops holds Kelsey? If your laundry scoops are the same size as the laundry scoops here, that would be shite load of perc. Thanks.

And do I understand that Coopers provides envelops of sodium percarbonate with their starter kits? How many grams do they hold?

Cheers,

Christina.

So I used some today to begin cleaning a cube, and decided to see how much this scoop actually holds. It was 51g, so more than I thought it was. That means I've been putting in around 250g when I soak the fermenter, or about 8g/L. I'm not exactly sure how much the FV holds to the brim where I fill it to but it'd be around 30 litres. 

It's probably overkill so I might just use 3 scoops next time and see how it goes. Given I can get it pretty cheap, I use it pretty liberally. 

• Thanks 1

On 6/14/2019 at 12:33 PM, BlackSands said:

Heat can.   😉   Gardeners heat soil for making their own potting mixes though it's probably not a very practical option for the average homebrewer!  

I'd like to see something more 'sciency' with regard to sanitising 'dirt' with starsan.  A gut feeling that it can't isn't convincing enough for me!  However, sanitation aside I'd still aim to have it properly cleaned regardless.

Any bacteria/fungi killing chemical needs to act directly on bacteria and fungi to kill them. If there is any sort of dirt or film between them and the chemical they wont die. Some bacteria can produce their own protein film when they colonise surfaces which they use to hide from the outside world. That's one of the reasons why some infections can be really hard to treat

• Like 1