Coopers Community

BIG W/Woolies

AussieJosh

Foodland here in SA are advertising Coopers stuff cheap too. Maybe it is to boost sales after the slump that the Coles sell off must have caused?

The Foodland add stated something like 'stocking all your home brew requirements' so it doesn't sound like they are bailing out.

I've said this before but I'll say it again - I really wish my local Big W would stock their home brew shelves. I've been in there several times over the last few weeks hoping to get some LDM and some Pale Ale - I managed to get their one box of LDM but they don't seem to ever get more cans. They just spread out what they have to fill the shelves and the cans they have are all bent and battered.

When it was mentioned on another thread here that Big W was going to have Home Brew on sale I thought, great, they'll get some stock in for the sale but no dice [crying]

I've talked to the staff and managers about it and while they are friendly they can't really help as they don't seem to know anything about when they are getting stock other than they might have some in transit. How much they may have they don't know.

Sorry for my rant, I'm not even sure it made sense [biggrin]

I think it is time for me to write a letter to the company and express my dismay and point out that a fair portion of the brewing community would like to purchase from them more if only they'd look after us just a little bit.

Anyway I must be going, I can hear a violin somewhere playing my sad song.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

The shelf stackers at Big W are a very bright lot. Went there today to get some light dried malt, none. What there was, were 2 rows of BE1 and BE2 ocuppying the shelf area, so after many buggers, bum, F%***#@ I decided to take 2 BE2\u2019s, low and behold there were the malt packets hidden behind all the BE\u2019s.

Maybe if I had searched longer I may have found a PLASTIC HYDROMETER!

Are Coopers aware that those living on the north side of Sydney apart from Mt Cola can\u2019t by any of their products apart from dried malts sugars and original Series cans. This is a very large area. Dave's shop at Nt Sydney has some but no Malt Exrtact

Weggl

Good to see everyone is "raising a glass" this ANZAC Day [biggrin]

Well, to judge by the spelling they are...

BigW online catalogue isn't offering any discounts.

I really hope they aren't following Coles and Wollies and KMart out of home brew supply.

I go to Macquarie Centre BigW - it seems to have the best shelf stock of the local stores. Plenty of Coopers dex, brewing sugar, BE1, BE2 and DME, although some dickhead seems to enjoy ripping open the boxes... Tooheys and Brigalow stock, too, if you're that way inclined.

Their stock always looks like they kicked it around the carpark before they put it on the shelf [pinched]

Having worked at woolies packing shelves for a while after I finished school I know that not a lot of respect is given to stock behind the scenes. It comes in on pallets all mixed together and staff are forever walking & climbing over the boxes packed on these crates when searching for stock.

Their stock always looks like they kicked it around the carpark before they put it on the shelf [pinched]

That's true. From the 10 cans of Real Ale on the shelf at my local Big W, every single one was dented, many of the packs of malt extract and brew enhancer were also damaged.

My closest Big W to where I live is at the Midland gate shopping centre in Perth.

The manager at this store is on the ball 90% of the time in terms of keeping all the home brew stock readily available.

Seems every few months or so they put everything on special to maybe stimulate sales??

That peanut who likes to squeeze & dent the cans also frequents there, as well as the mentally challenged person who opens the boxed products.

So far I haven't had any problems with the damaged or opened stock but were wondering if it would be possible to label the bags of BE & BS/dextrose incase this imbicile decides to switch them around one day..

were wondering if it would be possible to label the bags of BE & BS/dextrose incase this imbicile decides to switch them around one day..

That is a valid suggestion that I too would like to see.

The Big W I go to also has the same problem as everywhere else so labeling the actual bags would reduce the risk of a swap. Although I think it may be highly unlikely but it would certainly make sure you are using the right product.

yeh it would be great if the bags could be labelled some how just in case or repackaged differently with out hurting Coopers bottom line/profit margin.

How about a work experience kid with a permanent marker??[lol]

I would hate to see Coopers have to get stingy like other brewing companies & need to resort to things like reducing their bottle size etc to remain viable in a competitive market.

The Cooper's Dark Ale I bought from my local Big W at Mt Ommaney here in Brisbane was well past it's best before date. Wasn't a happy brewer. Guess they just leave it on the shelf and wait for some fool like me to come along and buy it without checking. I learned my lesson [pinched]

Yeah well I guess you blokes should be grateful you can get product at all! I have been using Be2 because I can't get get LDM, not happy with the results so yesterday I took out a second mortgage on the house and ordered 4 packets online from Coopers, the bloke delivering them must be filling up his BMW as we speak ready to drive them up here. It is going to cost more to get 4 X 500gm packets of LDM than it costs me for a carton of 24 bottles of wine to be shipped here! The deal was clinched though when I went to Kmart to get some stock, there was 2 packets of Be2 on the shelf, both had been opened so who knows what was actually in the bags....they stayed on the shelf. I have aproached managers of stores and written letters but to no avail....just think yourselves lucky you can get it at all!

Gee I feel for you. Have you tried ringing CraftBrewer?

Ross there is very helpful and is a good price. Can get LDM from him and if you need to top up the postage pack you can always do it with hops, yeast or Dextrose.

Edit: I have no affiliation with CraftBrewer. They have helped me above and beyond requirements.

Coopers Brewing Sugars should already be appearing on the shelves in the new DIY Beer cartons. These products should have the name and batch code printed on the inner bag.

We have also done away with the zipper on the top flap and this should help to prevent boxes from popping open. [biggrin]

my big w has more stock than the piddly amount found at my woolies but would still like Big W to keep there shelves fully stocked as I am trying to create a large range of different brews I'm doing my fourth batch and I have three flavours so far but when I went to Big W on Friday they didn't have Coopers bitter and to cause a pun I was "bitterly" disappointed.

• 4 months later...

Tried to email this to the Big W but reply said too mant characters, will have to deliver it by hand.

Product Manager

Big W

Dear Sir,

My name is Warren Eggleton of Manly Vale and I shop at your store at Brookvale.

I make quite a lot of home brew together with many people in this area. The problem I have with the store is their constant lack of stock in the homebrew section. I don\u2019t know what system of stock control you use but whatever it is it does not work. I have in the last month been trying to purchase Tooheys Draught and Coopers Pale Ale cans, only to find on several visits that there is no stock. The Pale Ale is the best seller of the Coopers range, but the stock you carry when it is on the shelf is minimal, there are always stocks of Lager and Mexican, the slow sellers. I don\u2019t know if you carry stock in your warehouse or rely on deliveries from Coopers. If it is the former then the problem lies with whosoever is responsible for stacking g the shelves. If it is the latter then it does not work either.

Last week I went to buy some Light Dried Malt, none there, until I moved the Brew enhancer and there they were, howbeit only 4 boxes behind the Brew enhancer, that says that there is a problem with the stackers.

If you keep these products in your warehouse I would advise training 1 or 2 people to know what is required and physically go with a pen and paper and have a look.

I would say that you loose around 30% of my business because I am forced to travel to Nth Sydney to a homebrew shop to get products that should be in stock at the Brookvale store. I am not the only disgruntled customer, I belong to the Coopers forum and I can assure you complaints about this store are plenty.

Warren Eggleton

warren.eggleton@mac.com

Archived