Coopers Community

What to do with Brewing Sugar?

GingerNuts81

So wifey came home with 3x 1kg of Coopers Brewing Sugar because it was on clearance for like $2 each. So bargain plus right.

I am only new to this as well, I follow recipes, I am a KISS kinda fella.

So how can I use this sugar in up coming brews? Can I just add to say the tin of Coopers Pale Ale + BE2?

4 hours ago, GingerNuts81 said:

So wifey came home with 3x 1kg of Coopers Brewing Sugar because it was on clearance for like $2 each. So bargain plus right.

I am only new to this as well, I follow recipes, I am a KISS kinda fella.

So how can I use this sugar in up coming brews? Can I just add to say the tin of Coopers Pale Ale + BE2?

Where was it so cheap? 

I am buying a couple of BE's and LDM tomorrow in prep for the next brews

4 hours ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

I wouldn't use a whole kg of it in a batch. Personally I'd keep it aside and use it in 200-300g amounts with a kg of dry malt. It's mostly dextrose, using a lot of dextrose makes the beer rather watery and doesn't usually taste all that good either. 

Ok, cool. 

What could I expect then using say 2 tins and some dry malt with more brew sugar? Would the extra tin give more body back?

4 minutes ago, Yuley said:

Where was it so cheap? 

I am buying a couple of BE's and LDM tomorrow in prep for the next brews

It was a clearance rack at my local Woolworths,  Hackham, SA.

Stuff on shelve was usually price. Sorry

You won't need two tins to get good body in the beer if you use a kit and kilo of dry malt. If you used a kit and kilo of brewing sugar it would be lacking, but with the malt replacing it, you get that body. 

Alternatively you could use a kit and a 1.5kg tin of unhopped liquid malt. 

If you go with the original idea you'd wind up with a pretty high ABV beer, possibly too bitter as well depending on the kits used. It works with lower bittered kits like the Mexican cerveza, but you wouldn't use two IPA kits. 

There is a stout recipe that uses two kits and a kilo of dextrose, which works well. These high ABV beers can tolerate higher amounts of dextrose, but for normal or light beers it just makes them watery and lacking flavour.

Archived