Coopers Community

YEAST Questions 2019

#granted+brew

1 hour ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

Leave the beer on top of it until you use it next. 

+1 what Otto says.  This is a 1L jar.  About 250ml of yeast and 450ml of beer.  I pitched it the weekend just gone.  Straight out of the fridge when I was ready to pitch.  Carefully tipped off 3/4's of the beer first.  Swirled up the yeast and the remaining beer until it was a nice creamy consistency.  Then pitched into my fermenter.  Fine bubbles appeared on the surface in less than 6 hours.  1cm krausen within 24 hours.  Still bubbling away nicely as I type.

It was a month in the fridge so some of the yeasties will have died off.  I might not get around to using it's brother beside it.  Six weeks would be about the longest I have kept harvested yeast before re-using it.

451942713_1LYeastJar.jpg.f8012ea4a5cc93ca273911af5cdf2a21.jpg

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply
27 minutes ago, MitchBastard said:

What have you got bubbling away?

May I ask how much, does one pitch when it’s time? 

Hey Mitch - See link below:

I added the whole contents of what you see in the jar in my previous post.  It is about 200-250ml of compacted yeast slurry.  It was about 4 weeks old.

Google MrMalty yeast calculator to get a simple on-line calculator with a tab for yeast slurry calculations.  Leaving some of the variables at their default, perhaps my 200ml or so was not that far off given that since I harvested the slurry, the viability would have dropped off.

1st time using US05 .... it is a bit of a beast of a yeast ... brew dropped 10 points yesterday, start day 2 to start day 3,  from 1040 - 1030 at 21 degree with 0.3 variance ... that is right up there with largest change I have experienced in 24 hours ... 

Archived