Coopers Community

How to add flavour ie. Pepperberries

kman1973

Hey KMAN,

From my understanding you pretty much treat it like dry hopping. I'm currently doing my first Mango infused beer, iv got 500gm frozen mango which I'm going to blend up and stick in a BIAB and add to the FV for the last 3 days of ferment.

Unsure how you would do this with pepper berries having never tasted them I must assume they are similar to regular pepper corns ?

Mate if you're talking about Australian mountain pepper, I've also been thinking how to incorporate it into my brew. I want to make a Gose like Nomads Freshie Salt n Pepper Gose.

I suspect that it will be added as a spice addition. In my regular house it is 25g crushed coriander seeds at 10min before end of boil. I would do the same with the mountain pepper first try around then adjust. Quantity, your  guess is as good as mine!

To maintain the peppercorns’ more subtle flavors, freshly cracked peppercorns should be added no sooner than 10 minutes at the end of the boil. A post fermentation addition can bring forth an intriguing bright, spiciness to the beer, but avoid a heavy hand when working with this type of an addition.

Regardless of when you add pepper, a little goes a long way, so keep the overall amount to less than 2 teaspoons per 5-gallon batch. Given the potent nature of the peppercorn, it’s worth exploring different varieties and their potential uses.

https://beerandbrewing.com/a-dash-of-pepper/

This site even mentions Tasmanian pepper berries!

My research suggests they are pretty potent, but so is black pepper.so maybe try two teaspoons crushed and added near the end of boil and report back?

I suggest taking 4L of wort from your next batch, or using some DME to make some wort, and using that to experiment with. You can use one of those small glass carboys as a FV. That way if you don't like it, you are not stuck with 23L, and you can tweak your recipe for a big batch.

Cheers,

Christina.

Archived