Coopers Community

First time brewer. - Lager questions

Tythataussieguy

Crazy Chuckin Man [wink] ,

Two stable readings over two consecutive days indicates a finished brew, bro.

Leave it a day or two, if same reading then it is done.

24C is probably a fail safe temp for "out of the box", no brainer brewing and will make good beer.

Lower, stable temps are a little tricky to maintain but makes for better, clear beer.

Reference the "How To Brew" section for great, easy recipes and note the lower recommended ferment temps.

Use your old fridge as a large esky, if needed, frozen plastic bottles will help maintain lower temps, in winter your heat pad can help.

My sister lives at Milthorpe so i know what you cold country people are like!![lol] Only xmas that i've ever been cold was over there

I used to live in Millthorpe. I lived their for 20 years or so and have moved to Blayney, can't say it was a good move.

Crazy Chook Man,

You are better of sticking to the low temps. Around 20c even 18c.

I have made about 20 brews in the last 3-1/2 months and the first lot were around the 23-24c, with the latest ones i am controlling the temp at 20c in a foam box i built, runs on a computer fan and 3L plastic frozen water bottles. The fermentation takes longer but the beer will be better.

Muddy, made me do it. Thanks Muddy.

I put a 17 watt dampchaser heater in the old fridge last night. The temp in the garage was 13c, but inside the fridge it was 23c.

I'll try it without the heater tonight.

I will have to wait for the Mrs to go shopping before I can sneak the fridge in the brewing room. The temp will be more stable in there so easier to control.

The hip-hop should drown out the memory of the Barmy Arm Muddy.

Matty,

Blaney!! good lagering country but you might need a heat pad in the winter.

Almost froze to death there one spring (November) was 85f in sydney got to Blaney and into a snow blizzard.

Wonderful for Largering, We had a real cold couple of weeks in December. I thought that was Summer but I must be wrong.

Archived