Coopers Community

First time brewer. - Lager questions

Tythataussieguy

Hey Guys and I assume girls?

I have just got my first coopers micro brew kit ,(Mrs got it for me, she's a keeper I know)[biggrin]

Now I have just put on my lager which came from the kit and I followed the instructions to the tea. My hydrometer reads 1043 after approx 18 hours, but my temp is jumping from 18 degrees to 21 then back down so I have chucked a hot water bottle in the wardrobe and a quilt to try and level it. is this ok? or am I just paranoid? will try too keep updated.

From feedback I've gotten about the Lager kit, because it comes with an Ale yeast, the temperature range you mentioned should be OK, but it comes out cleaner the closer to 18 C you keep it. If it was a real lager (with lager yeast) none of us would have had much success with it.

I'm brewing my second brew now (see the Looking for some guidance thread), I actually purchased the Brewmaster Thomas Coopers Wheat kit along with the fermenter startup kit. My thinking was that kind of beer would be more forgiving for the higher temps in my area (Upstate New York, USA) during the summer.

So, advice I've read and gotten here - start your kit about 21-23 C, this aids yeast growth, and then bring it down to about 18 for a few days, at the end of it all, you've got a pretty good beer.

As far as your gravity reading, 18 hours seems a bit early. At that time, especially if you didn't hydrate the yeast prior to pitching, it may have only begun fermentation. At that point, smells and visual cues (frothing, etc) at the top of the beer tell you things are working out ok.

Another important key is using the hydrometer - two stable readings (around 1.008-1.010) on consecutive days will tell you the fermentation is done, and its time to bottle. (On a personal note, I leave mine in the fermenter a couple of weeks, not sure if that is good or bad or whatever)

Hope you have as much fun as I've had so far... I have a problem with compulsively not following the recipes exactly.

Jon

Cheers for the response guys.

My house sits currently at 16 degrees for at least 20 hours of the day as Adelaide winters suck. but as you all say hot water bottle is gone.

still not seeing too many signs of fermentation though no rings round the top of the wort, no bubbles nothing. again maybe I am just paranoid

I'll try not to triple post this time... [pinched]

16 degrees is the ambient temp so don't go by that. The brew will produce it's own heat due to yeast activity. As long as the brew temp is fairly stable and between 18 - 20 you should be good.

I find my brew sit inside between 18 - 20 this time of year. Here it gets bloody cold at night inside but it does not worry the brew.

Is there any condensation under the lid? That is another sign of fermentation.

No worries on the triple post mate [cool] did think I was cared about though lol

There is heaps of condensation under the lid :D there is also some in the airlock though cause I was a muppet and put hot water into it lol seems like it will be ok though.

Guess it will take a lot longer than the 4-7 days though before bottling on average seeing as the temp is low?

Sounds like it's a goer then... [happy]

I generally leave mine 2 weeks minimum. I know it's going to be hard to do that being your first brew and all.

Maybe check the OG after a week and every day or 2 after that just to familiarise yourself with the hydro.

• 5 months later...

Not sure if I can agitate this thread back into life.

My first brew (Coopers Orig Lager) has been down a week at 24c. I wasn't able seal the fermenter so I'm relying on the Hydro that has been at 1012/11 for a few days. I don't know if I should bottle for the 2nd ferment. Advice in this thread would indicate that I should leave it longer and that I have the temp to high. But I'm just following the advice of the Coopers literature. The sample takes 10 minutes to settle as it has a head and bubbles in the liquid. I took the top off and shook the condensation off, but the lid clouded over quite quickly. These look to me to be signs of fermentation. Cheers

I generally leave mine 2 weeks minimum. I know it's going to be hard to do that being your first brew and all.

I'd be taking the hot water bottle out for starters.. Try to keep it closer to 18C with minimal fluctuations.

Provided the temperature is kept between 21\xb0C-27\xb0C, fermentation will be complete in 4-7 days.

Hey Crazy Chicken Man (Love the name [biggrin] )

Like your quote I'm also a 2 week man however if you have stable readings over a few days it generally means fermentation is finished. It can never hurt to leave it a few extra to clear up but you don't have to.

I assume you are bottling in PET bottles? The good things about these bottles is that you can release the cap a bit to let out a bit of pressure if they are overcarbed - however your should be fine.

The temp is a bit high but nothing to worry about - you can work on better temp control later. The Coopers yeast is very forgiveable

a good way to keep track of the temp. of your brew is to get your self a stick-on fish tank thermometer and stick it to your fermenter or carboy . better yet both. i think the quilt is a good idea to keep the temp. stable (my beers prefer sweaters). it also keeps any light from affecting your beer.

I will be using PET bottles.

I have the fermenter on a heat pad, it was at 24c according to the stick on thermometer, but moved up to 26c as we've has a few warm days.

Do you think these are indications of fermentation?

The sample takes 10 minutes to settle as it has a head and bubbles in the liquid. I took the top off and shook the condensation off, but the lid clouded over quite quickly. These look to me to be signs of fermentation. Cheers

So if the PET bottles get rock hard I should just let out a wee bit of gas if needed?

Also, does fermenting without an airlock take longer?

Cheers.

CCM

The bottles should be rock hard. I'd wait until they are ready for tasting and put one in te fridge. If when you open it gushes you may need to release the pressure in you other bottles. If it doesn't - drink your beer and you're good to go.

Don't worry about bubbles in your sample - just dislodge them from your hydrometer before taking a sample.

BTW - What is the temperature where you are? You may not even need a heat pad. It also isn't a great idea to sit the fermentor directly on the heat pad. Better to put it in an old fridge (On another shelf) or a box or something and rely on the ambient heat of the pad rather than the direct contact heat.

The airlock has nothing to do with fermentation and will not affect the duration.

I'm in sunny/rainy/windy/hot/cold New Zealand.

I have the fermenter in the coolest room of the house, so the temp is anything from 16c over night to 22c on a warm day, but mainly 19c ish. Either way the 24c advised by Coopers was not realistic, so I borrowed a heat pad.

If we get a hot wind come through the temps can get up to high 20cs at night in the house.

I have an old fridge in the garage that could be a goer.

I only asked about the airlock as I appear to have nailed the instructions from Coopers, so was looking for a cause of the longer ferment.

Cheers.

CCM

You have to ask questions to learn like the rest of us here [happy] . A longer ferment can be caused by the temperature dropping to low and the yeast are working slower or it could have just been unhealthy yeast.

Either way if its fermenting its best to just leave it be, I have had brews ferment for over 14 days but still turn out great.

Poor you. I spose we had the opposite yesterday. We maxed out at 42C, I believe I sat in my daughters pool with a couple of cold ones.

After a while my mates caught on to what I was doing and their was no room for playing in this pool.

I enjoyed it none the less, I even had one stay back and help clean bottles for the next brew.[happy]

42 deg in Blayney???? You guys would have melted!![lol] [lol] I'm originally from narromine 45 there yesterday!!! Very happy to be in north queensland [biggrin] [biggrin] [biggrin] except there's a storm with a name and a number on the way[pinched] [pinched]

Archived