Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Hey Gents,

I’m planning my 4th brew and am starting to get a little more comfortable with the process and have been learning lots from my last 3 beers and from this forum.

I was searching through the recipe database on the diybeer website and saw this IPA: https://www.diybeer.com/au/recipe/pineapple-ipa.html

Was thinking of trying something like this, however, my LHBS doesn’t have any Mr Beer products (at least not that I’ve seen). I can get Briess Extracts, if I used one of these to replace all of the Mr Beer items (the kit and the liquid extract) would it still turn out ok?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi Bobbyboy

Unfortunately this will not work how you might think it would.  The problem is these Briess Extracts are unhopped.  They have no bitterness or hop aroma.  They are used where you want to add your own bitterness by boiling hops or using a kit. 

You can certainly use them instead of the Unhopped Pale Malt Extract mentioned in the recipe.  The Mr Beer Unhopped Malt Extracts are hard to find, though.  I often use Light Dry Malt to replace the Unhopped Pale Malt Extract.

The Mr Beer kits have the highest bitterness in the Coopers range.  The Long Play IPA has a bitterness of around 50 IBU in its own right and the Pineapple IPA recipe has an IBU of 61.  An option is for you to do a hop boil.  For example boiling 25g of Pride of Ringwood for 60 minutes in a 4L mixture of water with 500g of Light Dry Malt or Liquid Malt Extract will get you around 60 IBU in a brew volume of 8.5L.

Also note that if you order four or more Mr Beer kits on the Coopers website delivery is free (only on the Mr Beer cans; if you order anything else you still have to pay $15 delivery).  That might be a good way to get hold of the Long Play IPA and a couple of the other kits.

Cheers Shamus

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Thanks for the reply Shamus. I’m not too worried about doing a hops boil as I’ve done them for my last 2 beers, it should be said that both were only 30 mins boils though. Interesting about the bitterness of Mr Beer kits, I’ve never noticed that.

I wasn’t out to make an exact replica of that recipe, just use it for inspiration. If I went the hops boil route, do you feel that the high amount of bitterness is needed to make the recipe work? Or would a less bitter beer work with these flavours as well?

Edited by BobbyBoy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi Bobbyboy

I think that bitterness is a bit different from person to person.  Plus beers are about balance too.  One beer can be quite bitter, but not so noticeable because its high malt content smooths out the hop bitterness.  This appears to be the case with the Mr Beer range because most of them are also quite dark beers.

Like you I take inspiration from the Coopers recipes and make adjustments to suit what ingredients I have in stock or can easily get.

I do not think the Pineapple IPA must be quite so bitter.  I noticed that the recipe has Citra (Dry hop) and Vic Secret (Steep and Dry hop).  With the craft sized ferment volume (8.5L) you could do a 30 minute boil with 25g Citra and get an IBU in the low 60's or 30 minutes of 25g Vic Secret and get up to the high 80's (probably too much) or say 10g of each for a total IBU of about 60.

I suggest you search for the IanH spreadsheet on the Forum.  I think it is available on the Aussie Home Brewer website.  It is a great tool for playing around with different hop, grain, extract and kit can combinations.  It is what I used to get the numbers above.

Cheers Shamus

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

I've just added grapefruit to a cerveza and it's come out very nice. Didn't clear at all though.
Still I'll be making it again and I'm thinking about how to get it to clear.

If I was doing that recipe or trying to get something close  I'd be adding the pineapple and hops to a cerveza, Bootmaker or the Brew A.
Maybe even a Pilsner or Lager. Personally I don't tend to worry about the bitterness too much.
Take into account the recipe you're looking at is only for 8.5 litres though.
I would make it up to 18 litres or so and double the hops, juice etc.

Edited by Graculus
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I made this beer a few months ago. 

It turned out really really bitter and tart. There wasn't much of a pineapple flavour and I thought it was a failure. 

I left the bottles for a few months and didn't think much of it. 

 

Cracked one the other day and it was actually really really good. The age has done really well. 

 

Dont make this if you think it will be a sweet pineapple beer. 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Ryano2 said:

I made this beer a few months ago. 

It turned out really really bitter and tart. There wasn't much of a pineapple flavour and I thought it was a failure. 

Dont make this if you think it will be a sweet pineapple beer. 

I really enjoy tart flavours so that should go well for me. When you had one once they sat of a bit how where they better? Less bitter?

1 hour ago, Graculus said:

I've just added grapefruit to a cerveza and it's come out very nice. Didn't clear at all though.
Still I'll be making it again and I'm thinking about how to get it to clear.

If I was doing that recipe or trying to get something close  I'd be adding the pineapple and hops to a cerveza, Bootmaker or the Brew A.
Maybe even a Pilsner or Lager. Personally I don't tend to worry about the bitterness too much.
Take into account the recipe you're looking at is only for 8.5 litres though.
I would make it up to 18 litres or so and double the hops, juice etc.

Thanks mate. It is for craft kit FV, so I will be making 8.5lts 🙂

1 hour ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

Hi Bobbyboy

I think that bitterness is a bit different from person to person.  Plus beers are about balance too.  One beer can be quite bitter, but not so noticeable because its high malt content smooths out the hop bitterness.  This appears to be the case with the Mr Beer range because most of them are also quite dark beers.

Like you I take inspiration from the Coopers recipes and make adjustments to suit what ingredients I have in stock or can easily get.

I do not think the Pineapple IPA must be quite so bitter.  I noticed that the recipe has Citra (Dry hop) and Vic Secret (Steep and Dry hop).  With the craft sized ferment volume (8.5L) you could do a 30 minute boil with 25g Citra and get an IBU in the low 60's or 30 minutes of 25g Vic Secret and get up to the high 80's (probably too much) or say 10g of each for a total IBU of about 60.

I suggest you search for the IanH spreadsheet on the Forum.  I think it is available on the Aussie Home Brewer website.  It is a great tool for playing around with different hop, grain, extract and kit can combinations.  It is what I used to get the numbers above.

Cheers Shamus

Thanks again Shamus! Of the options about I’d probably go for the 10g of each for 30mins. Would there be any need to dry hop?

Thanks so much for the info about the spreadsheet. I’ll check it out now!

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, BobbyBoy said:

Would there be any need to dry hop?

Hey Bobbyboy

Yep.  I would still do the dry hop and the steeped addition of Vic Secret as per the recipe.  Adding hops at different times and methods imparts different effects on the beer.  Boiling for bitterness.  Dry hopping for aroma.  Steeping for a bit of both.

You will not get much aroma from the 30 minute boil, so if you still want the smell to be hoppy, you should still do the dry hop.

Cheers Shamus

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sorry didn't realise it was for the Craft kit FV as you said your LHBS doesn't stock Mr Beer.

In that case I'd use the cerveza kit and jut top it up to 8.5 litres.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×