Sign in to follow this  
David Martin

Coopers sparkling ale

I think they now market the kit beer as Innkeeper's daughter sparkling ale. It replicates the commercially sold stuff pretty closely if you make it to the can instructions.

Its a good drop.

Give it a go,  nothing to lose and everything to gain.

• Like 1

I was really disappointed with the Innkeeper's Daughter kit. The can says add 1.5kg of light dry malt. But the recipe online says to also add 1kg of Dextrose. I wish I had known that! I got something that was overly malty and nothing like the original Coopers Sparkling. I've got another can up my sleeve, where I will add the 1kg of Dextrose as well, but also contemplating a hop addition of some sort, as the first batch is pretty bland. 

Hi Silmarl.

30 minutes ago, Silmaril said:

I was really disappointed with the Innkeeper's Daughter kit. The can says add 1.5kg of light dry malt. But the recipe online says to also add 1kg of Dextrose. I wish I had known that! I got something that was overly malty and nothing like the original Coopers Sparkling. I've got another can up my sleeve, where I will add the 1kg of Dextrose as well, but also contemplating a hop addition of some sort, as the first batch is pretty bland. 

The recipe suggestions on the brew cans are aimed at the novice (or kit & kilo) brewer who just pulls Coopers DIY products straight off the shelves & mixes them directly in their fermenter & pitches the yeast that comes with the brew can. You are obviously slightly further along than a complete novice or kit & kilo brewer so largely ignore the brew can recipes. 😉

The Coopers DIY recipe: Sparkling Ale is aimed at those a bit more advanced brewers looking to recreate a beer more closely representing the commercial beer. This particular recipe does NOT use 1kg of added dextrose as you mentioned, but only 300gms. It also uses the re-cultured commercial ale yeast from suitable Coopers commercial ale bottles that is a MUST to use if you wish to re-create the Coopers Sparkling Ale flavour(s) in this recipe.

I've brewed this DIY recipe as listed & it turned out very close to the commercial version.

Cheers,

Lusty.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Beerlust said:

I've brewed this DIY recipe as listed & it turned out very close to the commercial version.

Cheers,

Lusty.

Thanks. Will take your advice on board, and note my mistake re 1kg dextrose. 

If you're not too keen on re-culturing the commercial ale strain from the bottle you can always buy the strain ready for use.

https://www.ibrew.com.au/products/white-labs-wlp009-australian-ale

This is reportedly the Coopers commercial ale strain.

Personally, I'd rather pay approx. $18 & get a six pack of great beer to drink as well as the yeast, than pay $12 for just the yeast. $1 per beer....winning! 😁

Cheers,

Lusty.

• Like 2