Coopers Community

Coopers sparkling ale

David Martin

I was really disappointed with the Innkeeper's Daughter kit. The can says add 1.5kg of light dry malt. But the recipe online says to also add 1kg of Dextrose. I wish I had known that! I got something that was overly malty and nothing like the original Coopers Sparkling. I've got another can up my sleeve, where I will add the 1kg of Dextrose as well, but also contemplating a hop addition of some sort, as the first batch is pretty bland. 

Hi Silmarl.

30 minutes ago, Silmaril said:

I was really disappointed with the Innkeeper's Daughter kit. The can says add 1.5kg of light dry malt. But the recipe online says to also add 1kg of Dextrose. I wish I had known that! I got something that was overly malty and nothing like the original Coopers Sparkling. I've got another can up my sleeve, where I will add the 1kg of Dextrose as well, but also contemplating a hop addition of some sort, as the first batch is pretty bland. 

The recipe suggestions on the brew cans are aimed at the novice (or kit & kilo) brewer who just pulls Coopers DIY products straight off the shelves & mixes them directly in their fermenter & pitches the yeast that comes with the brew can. You are obviously slightly further along than a complete novice or kit & kilo brewer so largely ignore the brew can recipes. 😉

The Coopers DIY recipe: Sparkling Ale is aimed at those a bit more advanced brewers looking to recreate a beer more closely representing the commercial beer. This particular recipe does NOT use 1kg of added dextrose as you mentioned, but only 300gms. It also uses the re-cultured commercial ale yeast from suitable Coopers commercial ale bottles that is a MUST to use if you wish to re-create the Coopers Sparkling Ale flavour(s) in this recipe.

I've brewed this DIY recipe as listed & it turned out very close to the commercial version.

Cheers,

Lusty.

If you're not too keen on re-culturing the commercial ale strain from the bottle you can always buy the strain ready for use.

https://www.ibrew.com.au/products/white-labs-wlp009-australian-ale

This is reportedly the Coopers commercial ale strain.

Personally, I'd rather pay approx. $18 & get a six pack of great beer to drink as well as the yeast, than pay $12 for just the yeast. $1 per beer....winning! 😁

Cheers,

Lusty.

Archived