Coopers Community

Safale s-04

What should I expect from this yeast? I'm going to do a side by side brew this afternoon. Two batches of Thomas Coopers brew master selection IPA. One with Safale S-04 and one with the yeast supplied with the kit. The brews will be identical other than the yeast. I'm tempted to add some hops as well, but I think the IPA is pretty well done with the hops added initially.

Have used S-04 with a number of brews in the past. Each time I've been disappointed with the end result. They've all carried a background aroma like brackish water - it can be masked, somewhat, by shed-loads of hops but still there. [annoyed]

Dunno, it might be me... [roll]

that suprises me paul, i thought the s-04 wouldve been your favourite dry yeast???

i like how a simple question can get an interesting answer.... do you think the original IPA YEAST STRAIN would have been the s-04 or like it paul?

or is it just impossible to know?

cheers

matt

• 1 month later...

The side by side batches are a month in the bottle now and I have to say that I prefer the result of the Coopers yeast over the S-04... I wouldn't say the S-04 batch tastes bad, just not as good as the coopers yeast. I'm hoping it gets better with a little more age, the batch put down with the coopers yeast is going fast! [happy]

have used S-04 a number of times, it's ok (adds a pretty big yeast flavour) but, S-05 gets my vote! ends in a "cleaner/clearer" beer. have made a number of amber ales & irish reds & have been quite happy with the result.

what's the cooper's IPA like? i ask because this is my new favourite beer style for spring/summer this year & have made one already & have another due to go in next...

I had to use this yeast with one of my batches because the original kit yeast was lost in transportation (not the Coopers! :D)

oddly enough, Im happy with it - it produced really nice beer and I cant tell that it smells yeasty or anything like that.

are we talking about same producer? mine was a pack of dry yeast made by Fermentis (French company)

I agree. The S-05 American Ale yeast always works well for me as well. I like the taste of all the beers I made with this yeast. When making English Ales, I prefer the Munton's Gold Yeast over the S-04. The Coopers Yeast cultivated from the Pale Ale stubbies is the best, for sure!!

• 8 months later...

I'm planning on doing an English Bitter (hopefully something like Fullers London Pride if anyone has any hints). I was planning on using the English Bitter tin, some crystal malt, LDM, golding hops and until I found this post the S-04 yeast, reading this it looks a bit average. Should I stick with the kit yeast or is there another ale yeast that's recommended (preferably one that can be pitched directly into the wort).

I used the S-04 yeast for my English Bitter and had no problems at all.

I used 1kg LDM, 250g of Medium Crystal Malt and East Kent Golding hops. It is one of my favourite beers that I have made.

I used the 04 yeast on english bitter. Its been in the bottle for 4 weeks so will be trying this weekend.

Good thing about this yeast at this time of year I am sure it is quite cool, that it will ferment down to 15 %

I've got a brewing fridge hooked up to a Tempmate and a heat pad so the outside temps don't worry me anymore[cool]

Just set it and leave it. It's one of the best things I have done for my brewing set up.

IMO saf-04 is great for any english ale recipes (so it being called so) did a "psuedo lager" with one once using a can of coopers euro larger, BE2, Amarillo dry hop & 300grams of amber malt, was the best crowd pleaser I've ever brewed.

Archived