Coopers Community

Kit based Sour style

RepSpec

Hey guys

recently had a few sour beers and really enjoy them for the hot weather.

Im still only doing Kit beers, but would like to try make this style.

Is it possible to do a sour style with a kit recipe such as the blonde or even the Mexican?

Or make an extract using wheat or pale malt extract?

Anyone have any recipes?

A shortcut would be to add lactic acid but that would be very one dimensional. 

If you can handle a mini mash and steep some acid malt ( gladfields sour grapes/wey acidulated) it will be have slightly better depth but not quite like a kettle soured version. 

You could just co pitch a lacto and sacc strain at zero ibu ,ferment out then add a small boil with hops to bottling bucket / keg. 

I'd strongly advise taking accurate ph readings though 

I don't brew much in the way of sours or farmhouse brews. 

Ben is a wealth of experience in this subject,  maybe check out that pouch he linked earlier. 

It's an expensive way to do it compared to kettle souring AG wort. 

In your case I'd think about buying a 6 pack of corona,  adding lactic acid in precisely measured amounts to a nice round number ( 1 litre perhaps)  and taste it until it's about where you want it and extrapolate to larger bottling runs. 

*All care but zero,  zip , Nada responsibility taken if it's horrid *

I'd give the kit a bash, $35 isn't too bad really, minimal chance of balls up too, i have made a few tippers with kettle souring until i did the cube sour which worked a treat. i would not use lactic acid, i think it would be shite. you could do a flander red style with a lambic blend but that will take months. my first attempt is two months in and i have no idea when i should keg it.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived