Coopers Community

Micro Breweries

AussieJosh

So today i went past a micro brewery at Lobethal in the Adelaide hills. and it was shut! :(

When i got home i jumped on the net and I found its web site and it even had a video about the brewery

Check it out!

http://www.bierhaus.com.au/

Looks and sounds very TASTY!

Have any of you ever been there? What were your thoughts?

Has anyone got any recomendations for other good micro brewerys in SA or else where in Australia?

Thanks for sharing Josh.

I try to get to as many microbreweries as I can

(Or as many as my wife will let me. I take her out for a drive and by some coincidence, there happens to be a microbrewery nearby. \u2018Its not my fault. How should I know that there would be a brewery there?\u2019)

Anyway back to the subject. My favorites are:

Mountain Goat \u2013 Richmond Vic.

They are open Wednesday & Friday nights. They do free tours on Wednesday nights, but its best that you book ahead incase they get a group booking.

Red Hill \u2013 Red Hill Vic.

Open during the day Thursday to Sunday. They do a hopheads tasting and tour on the first Sunday of every month. Well worth the $25.

Burleigh Brewing (Duke) \u2013 Burleigh Heads Qld.

On the first Saturday afternoon of every month you get a tour for $10, which includes tastings and a glass to take home.

I have be too some that have been disappointing to say the least. For example, I went to a brewery \u2018cellar door\u2019 a few weeks ago. While there sampling the wares they told me they contract brew the beer elsewhere!

Willie Simpson has a great new book out that covers the best brewers in Australia. Its called Australian Beer Companion. It costs about $49, but you can get from here for cheaper http://www.microbeerclub.com.au/

Looks good and it is a great read. I have read most of it so far, but I did manage to borrow it from the library. So, there\u2019s a tip for all the tight wads, like me, on the forum.

The Lobethal Bierhaus does some nice brews. :mrgreen: They are all worth trying but I'm a fan of the India Pale Al and my wife likes the Red Truck Porter (one of the few commercially made beers she will drink).

The food is good and they serve wine from local wineries. I like to go for their platter with a mix of breads, dips, etc. I normally visit on a Friday as it gets a bit busy on Sat' and Sun' when the weather is nice.

Oh, while you're there, grab a GROWLER - they are a bit expensive but they make a great gift for a beer geek! :wink:

Thanks for the link Tricky! I think i will get that book!

I am going to make it my mission to find and suck someone in to drive me to and home from as many micro brewerys i can find for the rest of this year and next year.

I have only been to one in Australia and thats Grumpys in the Adelaide hills. I enjoyed there beers and wood oven pizza!

As we are listing different microbreweries I might as well give a plug for my local lunchtime beer house in Canberra.

It is called the Wig and Pen. They brew all the beer on site, with around 10-11 different brews on tap - some poured from English style pumps.

They have a beer menu and tasting trays. Pub meals (only M-F) are around $12.

It is located pretty well diagnally across from the Main Post Office.

If you enjoy very good crafted beer it is worth a visit. They will even give you a taste before they pour you a pint (a real 560ml one). :D

If you are planning to come to Canberra let me know and I shall meet you for a pint and, if he is on site, introduce you to the brewmaster. :wink: He is always keen to talk to and support those of us who brew our own.

Cheers

Peter

I know what you mean Magney.

I bust my ass for my money and my gf is a chef and works between 50 to 70 hrs a week! on a very avrage sallery.

I can not lie i would love some goverment job were i do stuff all and still get paid well!

not good for our country but good for me!

Off Topic!

• 1 month later...

Ok so My Girlfriend and i will be going to the Barossa Valley tomorrow to get some wines and have a day out!

I would love to know of any Micro brewerys in the barossa that are good and i should have a look at!

Any one know of any little brew places there that make there own brews and open to the public on a tuesday!?

Cheers for your help! :)

• 3 weeks later...

Went down True South, who have recently started up in Black Rock, on Friday. Brewer Sam F\xfcss was very hospitable, showing off her lovely brewery setup, and letting me sample all the brews. It's in a nice new building, in a beautiful location, just near the clock tower roundabout overlooking the bay. Five beers on tap: Kolsch style Summer Ale, Pale Ale, Dark Ale, Pilsner (dry hopped, if I remember correctly, with NZ Sauvin hops), and a well balanced Low Alcohol. It was well worth the effort made in getting there.

truesouthtaps.jpg

truesouthbeer.jpg

• 4 months later...
I went to a brewery \u2018cellar door\u2019 a few weeks ago. While there sampling the wares they told me they contract brew the beer elsewhere!

geez, there isn't anything wrong at all with contract brewing!

if a microbrewery kicks off and they cannot afford the setup of a 200HL brewery, contract brewing may well make the difference between having a dream, and living the dream for a would-be commercial brewer. Temple is contract brewed, and is arguably one of the best microbreweries in the country, as judged by many craft brewers.

In addition, smaller microbreweries sometimes get popular quickly, and may not have the capital to expand their capacity to handle the sharp increase in sales. In this case, contract brewing is an absolute necessity.

and FWIW, Hargreave's Hill would've never survived without contract brewing.

Beer is beer..

anyway, my list of breweries I've visited, tasted, and liked.. :)

Coldstream (vic)

Whiterabbit (vic)

Iron Bark (wa)

Red Hill (vic)

Mountain Goat (vic)

2 Brothers (vic)

Lord Nelson (nsw)

Port Dock (sa)

lobethal bierhaus (sa)

steam exchange (sa)

red oak (nsw)

grand ridge (vic)

otway estate (vic)

.... and of course, Grumpy's Brewhaus (sa).

all the best,

Kieran

Very nice line up Kieran [w00t]

Unfortunately they gave the impression with their advertising that they are a brewery that brew their beer there. So, then when I went out of the way to get there, I was sorely disappointed. Is it a case for the ACCC? [crying]

• 2 months later...

Hi AussieJosh,

Just down the road from the center of the universe, otherwise known as the Coopers Factory at Regency Park, there is a place called Brew Boys that has some very interesting brews. Worth the visit, but take a designated driver, the Scottish Ale isn't named "Seeing Double" for nothing!

Bear

• 3 months later...

Ah, good to know the Brew Boys are still going. I like their stuff - their 'half wit' *giggles* is great, though a bit too many late addition hops for me (at least I pressume that's where the grassy notes come from).

Their brews knock you on your arse!

We passed one out south (near Yankalilla way) but I can't remember the name. I'm going to try and get back there though =).

• 3 months later...

Hey I thought you folk Down Under might appreciate an overview of the Micro-brew War here in the States.

[And if any of you have any news on the Triple White 1968 Firebird 400 HO ragtop I sold to a plumbing contractor down your way about 20 years ago it would warm the cockles of me soul. http://www.google.com/images?q=1968+firebird+convertible&oe=utf-8&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a&um=1&ie=UTF-8&source=univ&sa=X&ei=k85hTdCzEM25tgepvby7DA&ved=0CDEQsAQ&biw=1440&bih=741]

Anyway, as the American awakens like Theoden from the torpor of being merchandised, analyzed, poisoned, packaged, diced and sliced by Budweiser, Miller, Coors, and the other usual suspects etc...

...a war has erupted over delivering quality beer - I mean real beer - not the insipid insect piss - to the masses. [and the profits from doing so - ya!, King Bud is DEAD!]

And as I see it here in Mytown, about 1/3 of the way up the East Coast, the MAJOR micro-brewery players fighting for the market share of the newly-enlightened are:

STONE, DFH, BELLS, SIERRA NEVADA, BEAR REPUBLIC

...and second tier players with some great beers are:

THE DUCKRABBIT, HIGHLANDS, TERRAPIN, ABITA ...

...and hell, I mightta left somebody out, but that's the general lay of the land.

Let the micro-brew wars rock on; there's great stuff for us bystanders!

Cheers!

• 1 month later...

That Coldstream micro brewery in Victoria (Yarra Valley) mentioned earlier is awesome. Go there in the Autumn or Spring and tuck into their beers and hearty grub by the fireside. Makes a good break from the wineries in the area to get some beers.

I used to live in Melbourne and travel out there to visit friends. I say visit in Autumn or Spring because the name Coldstream doesn't come lightly. It's friggin freezing there in the winter. Even has it's own weather station as it is so cold. Especially for a Queenslander.

• 5 months later...

Ah, good to know the Brew Boys are still going. I like their stuff - their 'half wit' *giggles* is great, though a bit too many late addition hops for me (at least I pressume that's where the grassy notes come from).

Their brews knock you on your arse!

We passed one out south (near Yankalilla way) but I can't remember the name. I'm going to try and get back there though =).

Myponga Brewery. Went there while on holidays at Serenity, Carrickalinga.

Nice set up and beer garden.

Harrys Hog Chilli beer is fantastic. Great tasting beer then the heat hits you.

Wasnt a big fan of their pale ale and didnt try any other beers but Is go back.

Cheers Steve

• 2 months later...

i'm surprised that no one here has mentioned the Mount Tambourine micro brewery near the Gold Coast. they operate out of what could best be described as a "hospitality shed" that's only a few years old, and also has a cheese factory in it.

a couple of the beers are almost to die for.

and the cheese? there's no 'almost' about it...

I visited Five Islands Brewery in Wollongong a couple of days ago. Nice friendly staff and great beer.

Their Amber Ale had a strong Cascade flavour and was very tasty.

But their Seasonal Beer was a Pumpkin Ale and was superb. I had never tried one before and although it was a strange taste it was quite pleasant.

I am thinking of brewing one for next Halloween.

Archived