Coopers Community

Progress of a first time brew

The Bruce

• 2 weeks later...

I got the kit from Aldi too. Just got it going. Got caught with the same conundrum. The video doesn't mention stirring, but the instructions on the back of the label are quite a bit different. Can't quite see why instructions would be different for US - other than the measurement system. I would reckon we are as big as stirrer than they are. Might let it sit for a day, and if no action visible, give it a belated stir. Maybe Coopers could sort out this anomaly - it is a bit worrying for this new brewer.

My absolutely first brew almost mirrors The Bruce in sourcing (ALDI Craft Kit) and timing (at 7 days now).

MY QUESTION: is it better to leave it a day or 2 longer before bottling after the SG test has stabilised? I have heard that if you bottle early there is a strong yeast taste - ie typical amateur brew.

If I play it safe and leave it 2 days longer before bottling, is there a downside?

Thanks in anticipation.

5 hours ago, beerdeluxe said:

anything up to two weeks in the FV is pretty safe and it will only help clear out the batch before bottling

3 hours ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

Leaving it a couple of days or so allows the yeast to clean up a bit which results in a better beer overall. There's no downside to doing it other than waiting an extra couple of days. 

Thanks for the info from both of you - I will now leave it the 2 days extra...

It's a lot easier when you've built up a stockpile, which itself is probably easier with a bigger fermenter being able to get 28-30 bottles at a time instead of 10 or 12 or whatever it is with the smaller one, for the same amount of time waiting.

I'm not impatient but at the same time I don't like unnecessarily wasting time for no benefit either. I give my batches the 2-3 days after FG (any more time is unnecessary), then drop them down to 0 for a week before kegging them (itself not an absolute necessity but it does clear the beer further than leaving it warmer).

Archived