Coopers Community

Progress of a first time brew

The Bruce

Picked up a craft brew kit from Aldi and started my first brew. I followed the instructions on the video and had it siting for 24hrs. Nothing looked to be happening just a bit of condensation build up. After reading a few threads I decided to give it a stir. 12hrs later it looked like this.

image.thumb.png.8ebb5aba4de970d78fd40c8eece6f92e.png

Yes, it is supposed to be there. It is perfectly normal. The sludge has yeast in it, both dead and live yeast that has fallen out of suspension and gone dormant. Later in your brewing career you can use a bit of that sludge to start your next batch, as a way of saving money. When you do that it is called slurry.

Cheers,

Christina.

1 hour ago, ChristinaS1 said:

Yes, it is supposed to be there. It is perfectly normal. The sludge has yeast in it, both dead and live yeast that has fallen out of suspension and gone dormant. Later in your brewing career you can use a bit of that sludge to start your next batch, as a way of saving money. When you do that it is called slurry.

Cheers,

Christina.

Legend. I guess the next thing is how much of that slurry will/should still be there in a few more days when it's time to bottle ? 

It does not go away, and there might even be a bit more. You have to be careful not to suck it up when you bottle, which may mean leaving a little bit of beer behind.

Once you bottle you will find that a new layer forms at the bottom your bottles. This is why you don't drink home brew from bottles; pour carefully into a glass and leave the last little bit of beer and yeast in the bottle....There are people that make a point of rolling the bottle around to re-suspend the yeast, for health reasons. It is full of vitamins and other nutrients. Makes the beer cloudy though. 

Cheers,

Christina.

Another reason to pour it into a glass is that it simply tastes better that way. I remember a batch I did a number of years ago; I took some to a party and had to drink them from the bottle. They tasted crap compared to in a glass, from the same batch. 

Otherwise though nothing much to add here, all looking pretty normal.

47 minutes ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

Another reason to pour it into a glass is that it simply tastes better that way. I remember a batch I did a number of years ago; I took some to a party and had to drink them from the bottle. They tasted crap compared to in a glass, from the same batch. 

Otherwise though nothing much to add here, all looking pretty normal.

Ja, Herr Von B, beer from a glass is the only way. As a responsible parent I taught my children the joys of properly served beer. I am proud to say that now,as adults,they stand as beacons of good taste in a sea of stubbie sucking bogans. If you drink from a bottle,or even worse,a can, you may be ingesting beer, but you are not “having a beer”. There is a world of difference! The colour, the rising bubbles,the creamy head,the aroma- ahh! I hope you are able to put your unfortunate lapse with the home brew bottles behind you and move on. Life is a learning experience. Cheers!

2 hours ago, supernerdy said:

Got the same kit from Al;di as well. Yours is foaming more than mine so I'd say your making better progress than I did ? Will tell in 2 weeks i guess

I didn't stir it when I put it in the vat/keg/brewer so I gave it a stir based on what I had read on here. It was nearly exactly 24hrs later . I have no idea if amount of time makes a difference but maybe give that a go. Maybe some of the veterans on here could clarify for you mate 

8 minutes ago, The Bruce said:

I didn't stir it when I put it in the vat/keg/brewer so I gave it a stir based on what I had read on here. It was nearly exactly 24hrs later . I have no idea if amount of time makes a difference but maybe give that a go. Maybe some of the veterans on here could clarify for you mate 

Gave mine a stir bout 3 hours after starting the brew as well. Either way every thing else went to plan now just keen to begin my next brew

You folks are right.  I reckon it will be fine.

I have always stirred my craft brews when preparing because that is what I did with the regular sized Coopers cans.  I did not realise (until recently) that the craft instructions actually said no stirring required .  I favour stirring them during the preparation process before adding the yeast.  During the fermentation process you can see the brew really roiling away,especially in the craft sized batches.  All that activity is what enables the yeast to get at all the concentrate.

Cheers and happy brewing

21 hours ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

I did not realise (until recently) that the craft instructions actually said no stirring required 

It's funny.  I read on one thing that you don't need to stir but the directions on the inside of the label said to stir.  I don't suppose it matters really. 

4 minutes ago, NewBrews said:

It's funny.  I read on one thing that you don't need to stir but the directions on the inside of the label said to stir.  I don't suppose it matters really. 

Yeah I found the same thing. After the first 24hrs and nothing looked to be happening , that's when I decided to give it a stir. 

2 minutes ago, The Bruce said:

Yeah I found the same thing. After the first 24hrs and nothing looked to be happening , that's when I decided to give it a stir. 

I stirred after a few hours after watching youtube. Noticed ROTM says no stir also but haven't decided if i will or not.. as long as it tastes like good beer after i am happy

2 hours ago, The Bruce said:

Just done my first test (on day 7 oops) . I got 1007 . Smelling like flat beer . Getting excited to bottle 

Who would have though we would get so excited over flat beer.  I reckon we all did.  

There will be some apprehension after bottling.  Some of the stories on the forum make you think carbonation is a problem.  For most of us though it works out fine.

Wait until you smell future flat IPA's and stouts, you will get really excited.

Cheers Shamus

It would have started whether you stirred it or not. Also, the height of the foam on top means nothing, all brews are different in that regard but just because the foam layer is low doesn't mean it isn't fermenting as quickly or whatever. I have a stout in a second fermenter going at the moment, it was pitched with yeast on Tuesday and given the OG of 1.0855 it's looking at around 9% ABV. I expected it to volcano out of the fermenter by now but the foam is only a bit over an inch high. Plenty of condensation under the lid so it's working away nicely. I'll check SG next week and see how it's progressing.

In any case, 1.007 sounds like it's finished, check it again in a couple of days, if it's the same then you can bottle it. 

Archived