Coopers Community

Brewing newbie with some questions

BobbyBoy

16 minutes ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

no experience here with brewing gluten free beers as I have no need to. Only one bad experience tasting one, O'Briens. I think it is brewed with sorghum and it tastes like stale apple juice, bloody awful.

I've had O'Briens too. Hence thinking I could do better. Seems sorghum is the main substitute for malt in most GF recipes. Wonder if there is a way to either uses something better or work with it to create something worth drinking.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

There's this stuff called clarity ferm that apparently reduces gluten levels to a point considered gluten free, but whether that's enough for your mate or no I don't know.

It wouldn't be unfortunately. Everyone with Ceoliac has different tolerances. My brother can't even look at gluten, so would have to start from scratch with gluten free ingredients.

12 hours ago, BobbyBoy said:

My brother used to keep tropical fish and has a left over temp controller. This is it HERE. Would that temp controller be suitable for beer temp controlling?

Not sure how this baby works.  Looks like it probably is about keeping something warmer in a cool ambient environment.  For example snakes in Melbourne or brewing an ale at around 20 degrees outside in the garage in winter.  Ideally would need the fermenter to be inside an insulated box (fridge) or something similar to keep the temp reasonably stable.  I could have used it a few weeks ago to get my fermenter up to 22 degrees when the room temperature was about 18 degrees.  The controller has a second power point but it talks about timer control for say switching on and off a light to simulate or swap day and night.  That is probably what the second power point is for.

This controller looks like it would not be suitable for switching on a fridge to cool something down and switch off the fridge once the desired temperature was reached.  For example brewing a lager at 12 degrees in ambient room temperature of 20 degrees.

Also because it does not seem to have a cooling control function you might get temperature fluctuations that are too great for good brewing conditions.  You could figure out for a particular insulated box, what temperature you would set it at to keep your brew to a desired fermenting temperature.

Bottom line, if it is free (swap it with your brother for a few brews) it would have its uses, but not the whole range of what you want to achieve with your brewing.

Cheers Shamus

There's two plugs on it. That means you can plug a heating and cooling device into it at the same time and it will use one or the other to maintain temp. Or it could be something else. I suppose the only way to know is to try it out... Plug a fridge into it and set the temp and see if it turns the fridge on. 

Archived