Coopers Community

86 Days Pilsner hop suggestions

G'day everyone,

Getting ready for my trip to lhbs tomorrow and i still want to take advantage of the cold weather and brew a lager. Last time i did EuroLager that just got into the bottle and i am thinking about going the Coopers Pilsner one with either 1kg of LDME or Fifty fifty LDME abd Dextrose. Last time i did this kit it didnt turn out fine but my temps were completely out around 20.

Also i want to experiment with some hop additions to this one. Does anyone have a good suggestion for hops to use with this one and boiling times as well ?

Is the coopers pils and euro lager quite similar ?

I'd use 1kg DME, Dex will thin it out too much. As for hops it depends what you're after. Obviously Saaz would be the go for a traditional pilsner, but you could use anything. For a boil I'd probably just do a 10-15 minute boil and a flameout steep. 

Not sure how similar the two kits are as I've never done the pilsner kit. They wouldn't be drastically different, they're both lagers just inspired by different regions.

Yeah Sazz for sure for the boil and was thinking cascade for dry hop. But i am happy to get an advise. Having goid experience with euro lager so far 2 more weeks until taste and my pilsner didnt go well before but i know what i did wrong

Saaz will give you an authentic Czech pilsner taste and aroma. If that's what you want from the beer, then stick to Saaz. If you want a more fruity type beer, then short boil some Cascade or something similar and dry hop with it as well, rather than using Saaz as well. 

I've never brewed one of these new world hoppy lagers/pilsners but I've seen a number of recipes, and don't recall seeing Saaz as part of the hopping.

Well.... in the end time and finances didnt allow soiam actually doing kit and kilo Euro lager ... can and BE3 as per istructions .... will leave the temp around 20 in the first 12 hours thatwill drop it ..... Pilsener will be the next one

• 2 weeks later...

Archived