Coopers Community

Coopers Canadian Blonde

Hi guys, well I just created my first album in the gallery (after a bit of mucking around) anyway it would be interesting to get some feed back. The brew was pretty standard I did put in 1kg of LDM. Other than that I just followed the recipe. I do have mixed feelings though, the brew tastes OK, I'm just not sure of what colour it is supposed to be, because it looks nothing like what is on side of the can and pretty much no head (unless I pour it from a height) and it dosen't last. All feedback welcome.

Bill

Hi Bill, 

I made this late last year, although with a BE2 I think. It was very light golden colour.  I would expect it to be slightly darker than that and whatever is on the can based on you using LDM instead. 

As for the head, so many things can affect that that have nothing to do with the basic ingredients. As long as you are happy with the beer I wouldn’t worry too much about that. 

I think think this kit is a good base for a much more flavoursome beer, with perhaps some steeped grains and some dry hopping. 

Cheers 

Simon 

4 hours ago, Boot Straps said:

Hi guys, well I just created my first album in the gallery (after a bit of mucking around) anyway it would be interesting to get some feed back. The brew was pretty standard I did put in 1kg of LDM. Other than that I just followed the recipe. I do have mixed feelings though, the brew tastes OK, I'm just not sure of what colour it is supposed to be, because it looks nothing like what is on side of the can and pretty much no head (unless I pour it from a height) and it dosen't last. All feedback welcome.

Bill

Realistically, I don't believe I've had straw colored beer since I went away from the Beer Enhancers 1 and 2. Those enhancers include Dextrose and Maltodextrin which seems to keep the color light, but unlike the Maltodextrin, the dextrose will do nothing for head retention. 

Any malt extract seems to change the color to honey/gold of various hues. A 1.5kg can of Liquid Light Malt Extract will definitely darken the color as will Light Dry Malt Extract.

Given you included LDM rather than BE(x), if you can let the bottles condition for 4-6 weeks, you will see a marked improvement in head, head retention and taste. 

Steeping grains and adding hops will open a whole new world of brewing if added to a good kit base like that. ?

Cheers,

1 hour ago, Worthog said:

Realistically, I don't believe I've had straw colored beer since I went away from the Beer Enhancers 1 and 2. Those enhancers include Dextrose and Maltodextrin which seems to keep the color light, but unlike the Maltodextrin, the dextrose will do nothing for head retention. 

Any malt extract seems to change the color to honey/gold of various hues. A 1.5kg can of Liquid Light Malt Extract will definitely darken the color as will Light Dry Malt Extract.

Given you included LDM rather than BE(x), if you can let the bottles condition for 4-6 weeks, you will see a marked improvement in head, head retention and taste. 

Steeping grains and adding hops will open a whole new world of brewing if added to a good kit base like that. ?

Cheers,

Thanks for the advice, I shall keep that in mind. Thinking back on it now I think I boght the can from my LHBS with the intention of making something else but never got around to it. So when I did get 'round to laying down a brew I had forgotten what I was going to make. I think that is why I had the Light Dry Malt  on hand.

Bill

Hey Boot Straps

Head and Head retention isn't something that i get too hung up about with my homebrew. Doesn't affect the taste and no one has ever commented. I make low fizz beer, sometimes I get good head and head retention and sometimes i don't. It depends on the recipe. If your using LDM and moving away from Enhancers you should look at adding some Wheat Malt extract as an eay step and later on steep some crystal malt - if you are concerned about colour then use pale crystal as crystal will darken your beer significantly (when compared to straw).

Cheers & Beers

Scottie

Valley Brew

• 2 weeks later...

I find the head affects perceived taste. It also affects the mouthfeel - that's why Guinness seems thick and chewy even though in reality it's as watery as corona. If there's a nice layer of foam on the beer it just seems more like a real beer. I find when the head disappears the beer seems to taste different and usually not in a good way. I don't often have bad head retention anymore though, a combination of ingredients and mashing schedules has given my beers decent retention.

I am at one with the Blotto man here.  Beer without a good head is, I believe, a poor thing indeed. The look,the mouthfeel,the taste are all diminished . I love all those  millions of tiny bubbles,bursting and releasing their beautiful hoppy aromas. Besides,what’s the point of licking your lips if there’s no froth to lick ? Cheers!

Actually you make a very good point there about the hop aroma being released through the head, because that's exactly what happens. Since most of our sense of taste is governed by smell, it makes perfect sense that a lack of head would affect our perception of the flavour because the hop aroma and probably overall aroma as well would be diminished somewhat. And that's gonna cause a difference in how it tastes.

Archived