Coopers Community

Coopers pale ale

Kart1525230276

I steep 200-250 grams of Carapils to add to mine.

Steep the grain in boiled water cooled to about 75C for 30-40 mins.

Then boil it for 10 minutes.

Add to the FV with the other ingredients.

Seems to work. Sometimes too well.

*which pale ale are you talking about?

APA or one of the others?

Well, personally I bottle and then leave at about 20c for at least two weeks.

Then leave them for another two weeks until I start drinking them.

Ideally I'd put them in the fridge for a couple of days, but that doesn't always happen.

That's after two weeks in the FV too, although that usually ends up nearer three weeks.

I did find some Coopers Amber Ale in the back of the cupboard the other week that was one year old. Really nice. I'm making another and I'll be putting a case away for Christmas.

Hey Cart

When you say flat do you mean no bubbles or it just loses its heads, If it is flat has every bottle of all four batches been flat? If it is just poor head retention what is the recipe and how long are we talking before losing the head?

Cheers & Beers

Scottie

Valley Brew

• 4 weeks later...

Hi All, 

I have the same issue. Using Coopers APA, Enhancer #2 and the yeast from the tin. I have even re-hydrated my yeast and used dry yeast but same result. Beer pours nicely and then loses its head very quick. I have steralised my glasses with boiling water and used low suds detergent. Only thing I have not tried is moving to glass bottles from PET. I leave beer in FV for at least 2 weeks, then in bottle for around 4 weeks and then start to drink 

Cheers, 

Alan

I find the glassware makes a big difference with my beers. They're pretty well all malt beers (no sugar or dextrose added) but sometimes they hold a decent head and sometimes they don't. I always use nucleated glasses which helps, though I find they stop bubbling by about the 3rd or 4th refill and the head retention isn't there either, possibly from skin oils or whatever as well from drinking from the glass. Even in smooth glasses I get good retention if it's the first beer in the glass, but any subsequent refills have poor retention. 

I find beers with a lot of late hop additions (short boiled, steeped or dry hops) tend to exhibit good head retention as well. 

Archived