Coopers Community

Dr Weedy’s Ale, Rocky Ridge Brewing

The Captain!!

G’day Beer fans,

So for the record, I have no affiliation with this brewery what so ever.

Local brewery Rocky Ridge Brewing co have released a beer called Dr Weedy’s Ale.

This contains toasted hemp seeds.

The beer it self is similar to Ben 10’s big red rye, (has some red hues with a roasted malt hint) then your hit with this strange, yet delicious flavour from the toasted hemp seeds.

Edit: Forgot to ask the question, How would this be added to the beer? During mash, boil,during fermentation, after fermentation?

If your able to get a hold of this, I think one should try this sensationally strange beer.

Cheers and have fun,

Captain

• 4 weeks later...

A Brown Ale with toasted hemp seeds? Hmm. Interesting. Does it have any head? Just wondering because hemp seeds are high in oil, and Omega 3 UFAs.

They say Omega 3 UFA should not be heated, or they oxidize and form free radicals.

This gives me an idea though. I am quite a fan of the nutty flavour of toasted sesame seeds. I wonder what a small amount of whole, home toasted sesame seeds would add to a Brown Ale? Might have to give that a try.

Cheers,

Christina.

Hey Christina,

Yeah it’s got a full head. It doesn’t hang around too long though.

Maybe they defatted somehow before hand. No idea.

Tincture maybe.

I’m really clutching at straws here.

Seseme seed ale, hmmmm that actually sounds really good.

Cheers

Captain

Sounds pretty cool Captain K. When I read it I thought of a Belgian Wit or something that adds spices and the such. My in-laws were in Japan and had a beautiful 5 course meal with hemp seeds and other parts of the plant. I have even read about a beer where they used the buds/flowers, whatever you want to call em, the writer said it had good head, who knows what else they used.

Thank you for sharing!

Norris

Archived