Coopers Community

Open Fermentation - Am I Crazy?

Luke

I am going to do an open fermentation experiment.....

Ok, not for the whole fermentation, just until the krausen dies down, then I'll rack to a secondary & cover.

Then.... I'm gonna collect the yeast & wash it, and if the beer turns out alright I'll re-use the yeast for future batches!

I'll post photos of the brew so you guys can see the progress.

Any suggestions on what kit to use? I'll be using a Wyeast 1056 yeast starter.

Ok,I'm going to do the Spirit of Anzac Ale.

Got to get a few supplies, so stay tuned.

I'll do it in my brew room, which doesn't get used at all (except for brewing [roll] )

Muddy, thanks for the confidence......

Andrew's right, open fermentation has been around for ever, maybe I'll get a native yeast to take up residence!

I'm not going to use a cloth or anything to keep out the nasties!!!!

I'll be bleaching everything after this brew though...

Muddy' date=' thanks for the confidence......[/quote']

I have every confidence in you Luke. I just thought it would be a good opportunity to get your techniques down in case you ever go to prison.

Seriously though, good luck with it! I look forward to finding out how it goes.

I'll do it in my brew room' date=' which doesn't get used at all (except for brewing Roll Eyes )[/quote']

You're a lucky man Luke - It would be great to have a dedicated brewing area [love] I have to do mine in the garage, which isn't ours, and is already chocka-block with junk.

Thanks Thirsty,

Ordered my hops & grain from Craftbrewer, so if it doesn't get here by Friday, It'll be a late weeknight's brewing next week!

Can't wait to do this one!!!

I'll be doing a mini boil on the stove and splitting it between 2 fermenters. I've got 2 pitchable 1056 yeast starters ready to go!

Thirsty, you'll appreciate the logistics being a logistical professional yourself! [ninja]

catching a native yeast could be interesting!

in belgium they make "Lambic". this is beer made with wort that is left exposed to air for some time and (hopefully) spontanious fermentation starts from catching airborne yeast! i was told that nowadays they use isolated lambic yeasts to be sure of good results and avoid infections.i don't know if this is true.

what i do know is that i enjoyed my share of geueze lambic over the years [biggrin]

wickedbrew012.jpg

The coffee plunger steeping method!

wickedbrew016.jpg

Two boils

wickedbrew021.jpg

All cosy snuggling up together!

wickedbrew025.jpg

Freaky!

Both were as the Anzac Ale recipe, instead of the yeast which was 1056 American Ale.

Omar, I pitched the same amount of yeast into both, so it won't be a spontaneous fermentation, but if it turns out alright I'm going to wash the yeast & re-use!

O.G. was 1.038 for both

Almost 24 hours in and both have a layer of foam on them, higher on the covered one.

The coffee plunger lets through a little bit of the really fine stuff, but that doesn't hurt anything. I only use it for steeping small amounts of grain and just chuck the hops loose in the pots on the stove.

Latest update, the brew room smells amazing!

image119m.jpg

After 48 hours.

Not much Krausen (on both brews).

I'm gonna rack the open brew tomorrow night to a closed fermenter.

It's probably had enough exposure now!

Another update - Racked the open brew to a closed fermenter and tested the gravity.

Both brews were 1.014 and both samples tasted EXACTLY THE SAME!!!

Those Nelson Sauvin hops are full-on!!! Massive hop aroma and hop flavour in both!

Okay Luke!. Good to hear it at least didn't go "bad" i'm curious if taste difference will occur after botteling and maturing. defenitly interested in the result if the yeast is re-used.I think if you just caught a couple of native cells it might not make a difference against the pitched yeast, but is should be more abundant in the recovered yeast.

As far as i know the lambic style beer has to ferment for a couple of months.

I think this might be because if it just catches a little of the airborne yeast cells in comparisson to a gazazillion yeast cells pitched and duplicating about every half hour; for as long as there are nutienst, oxigen and sugars available of course: it will be seriously lagging.

As you know, this is the reason one has to pitch yeast asap when making beer,just to overpopulate the possilble infections.

but to make a short story long,this is a very interesting experiment!

I hope there will be a sequel! (or a follow up [innocent] )

Thanks Omar!

I will be saving the yeast from the open batch, and will re-use it when I make a suitable brew.

These brews will be kegged, with some of it to be bottled for a side-by-side comparison.

My better half thought the closed sample had a slightly stronger aroma, but I wasn't so sure...

I'm thinking the open brew will finish a touch drier than the closed brew.

• 2 weeks later...

Quick update.

Brews are on 1.008 and will be kegged/bottled tomorrow.

Covered sample tasted nice & open sample tasted very similar with a character I describe as "earthy".

Next update in 2 weeks with side by side pics! And smell'o'vision.....[bandit]

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Archived