Coopers Community

What's going on with Coopers' Lager?

jeremy-o

Is it just the packaging that's changed? (Old - New)

It's been a bit confusing. Coopers Premium Lager is one of my all-time favourite Aussie beers and an easy choice whenever I could pick it up. But the new green bottles, at the very least, have impacted the flavour and I'm not sure if the recipe has changed too. The 'All-Malt' claim has been dropped. What happened? I know there was a "summer series" lager coinciding with the Australian Open - is that now the standard Coopers' Premium Lager?

If the skunky green bottles are a must but nothing else has changed... at least give us philistines the option of drinking from a tinny...

The beer needed a 'facelift' (for a better word).

Without meaning to denigrate the beer itself at all, sales have gradually been falling over the last few years.

Again not wishing to be overly critical, Coopers only have themselves to blame for this. Their two prominent ale brews receive plenty of airplay & advertising support, whereas their premier lager beer is left to fend for itself in a domestic market that is primarily fllled with lager fermented beers & lager fermented beer drinkers.

If Coopers expect the facelift alone to improve its' sales, it may for a very short time, & then it will fall back on the promotional support Coopers give it against it's competitors as to it's eventual success & future.

Why Coopers even bother with this beer does puzzle me some. Their Pale Ale competes favourably against all the super/extra dry, draught, & bitter labelled lager fermented beers across the board, & their Sparkling Ale does equally well against the premium lagers such as Crown & Boags. So where do they want their lager to actually fit in & hold a market share? unsure

On a side note, the serving volume has reduced from 375ml to 355ml & the ABV% appears to have dropped from 5.0% down to 4.8%. That tells me the recipe has changed.

In the current 'wanky' world of Australian produced lager beers, I can only wish them well with the changes.

Cheers,

Lusty.

Never tried it. 8.5 per stubby of carbohydrate suggests it is full malt.

What is your issue with green stubbies?

UV light interacts with a chemical present in hops to create a "skunky" flavour. Green bottles do not mask UV light like amber/brown ones do... Or cans, for that matter.

To me it's not a cardinal sin, I'll buy a Heineken or a Corona or whatever every once in a while. Some people like the flavour but it is generally regarded a defect, and the companies who package in green bottles tend to do so for the sake of image in full knowledge that it comes at a detriment to the product itself.

The beer needed a 'facelift' (for a better word).

Without meaning to denigrate the beer itself at all' date=' sales have gradually been falling over the last few years.[/quote']

Doesn't surprise me - it was/is an elusive beer to even find. I have no doubt the changes will make it more marketable and I actually think an "Australian" euro clone that tastes like a Brewed-under-License Heineken (which it does) will gain a lot of traction. I just wish their move into that market didn't come at the cost of a genuinely good beer.

The only time I've ever had a Coopers lager is when there's nothing else available, Southwark Premium has always been much better(!!!) - I just find the Coopers lagers to be relatively bland.

I will always choose Sparkling or Celebration Ales, which are sublime. Pale is OK, the special Amber was meh compared to other offerings (check out the Vale Ale version, yummy!), the stout is good but once again the Southwark stout is more to my taste.

I like to support Coopers and to see them succeed, but their range (mainly the lager recipes) needs a major makeover, not just sprucing up the packaging.

I havent had a coopers lager for a few years so i cant comment on the beer etc.... but...

When we did a tour of CUB, they said that they changed their recipe slightly for VB which included a small drop in alc% because here in oz there is a tax rate depending on the percentage of alcohol in the drink... so perhaps this is why the lager has gone from 5% to 4.8% as Lusty has stated???

They did say that it was the worst thing they could have done to change the VB recipe and there was a big backlash, in which it didnt take them long to revert back to the original recipe again in damage control.

The original recipe VB is just as crap anyway. The drinkers probably didn't even notice the change in taste if there was one' date=' they were probably just complaining because of the drop in ABV. [/quote']

Hehe, you may be right - surely they would just reduce the amount of sugar to make the change, so no-one could taste the difference?

The original recipe VB is just as crap anyway. The drinkers probably didn't even notice the change in taste if there was one' date=' they were probably just complaining because of the drop in ABV. [/quote']

Hehe, you may be right - surely they would just reduce the amount of sugar to make the change, so no-one could taste the difference?

I reckon it was the heroes who didn't feel drunk (enough) after finishing a case over the course of a session who picked this up. Nothing to do with flavour at all, none to start with!

I had the misfortune of having one last weekend. Said yes to the offer of a beer but once it came out of was too late to change my mind!

Archived