Coopers Community

Any bee keepers out there?

ChristinaS1

There is a guy in my home brew club that has a couple of hives. He is hoping to increase the number each year by splitting hives (or something like that, I drifted off a bit). He is into his meads but doesn't have enough capacity yet to produce enough honey.

It would be nice to make mead from your own honey. I have only tried a couple of commercial meads but have tried some home brewed/fermented mead that was very tasty and much better.

Yeah, I'll most likely give making mead a go, but I won't be able to harvest any honey until 2018, that is if I can keep the bears out of it. Might have to put up an electric fence.

Anyway, there sure is a lot to learn and I am finding it fascinating.

Cheers,

Christina.

I made mead years ago, but can't find clover honey these days. The flavours of most Australian honeys these days are too overpowering in a mead. I suspect crops such as sunflower and canola could produce a lighter honey suitable for mead, but nothing like that is available around here. :-(

Don't get me wrong - a lot of Australian Honeys have great flavour and some, such as redgum, can add great flavours to full-bodied beers, but when used on their own for a mead these flavours can become overpowering once all the sugar has been fermented out.

Archived