Coopers Community

I am looking for best ingredients

Not really... but, mostly or all malt, minor or no amounts of sugars like table sugar or dextrose, freshest ingredients available, some hops help as well, appropriate fermentation temp, which for ales is around 18-20 degrees C. Good cleaning and sanitation. And patience. It doesn't need to be bottled as soon as it hits FG; it will benefit from being left in the fermenter for another week or so after this, before it's bottled. cool

I very much agree with Otto & Ben 10.

That said, the very simple advice always given by PB2 really can't be beaten:

Fresh good quality ingredients + sanitation + temperature control = good quality beer.

So I'd say, the above, along with patience & attention to detail should see you producing pretty decent beer from most batches.

I'm yet to hear from anyone who's had a 100% success rate though, whether it be due to accidents, impatience, or some variable that hadn't been considered prior to commencement of a brew, including questionable yeast quality.

So, again, good quality ingredients, which also means pitching your yeast at the right temperature (typically your intended brewing temperature), rehydrating or making a starter.

Dry yeast straight from the pack will work, but as you progress, you may find you get better success with more specialized yeasts from your LHBS, rehydrating, or making starters.

There are some pretty decent recipes in the recipe section that are worth giving a go, & if the ingredients listed aren't available, usually your LHBS can point you in the right direction for substitution.

Practically all brewers start out pretty basic with kit & kilo, but it doesn't take long to get the hang of that, & then each additional step; dry hopping, steeping, boiling, etc gets you to the point where you can personalize your brew to your own taste.

Only you can decide what you like in a beer, so only you can decide what your particular secret ingredient is when it comes to making decent beer, but the importance of patience, as well as PB2's formula can't be overstated.

Archived