Coopers Community

Any seasoned travelers know of a decent beer available in Vietnam?

Away

If it's anything like Cambodia where one of my mates goes a fair bit then your likely only choices are metallic soapy tasting megaswill shit from a local brewery somewhere. Or at least that's what the reviews all said on Ratebeer and the like.

Might be able to find some decent imports though; I wouldn't know as I've never been there.

Thanks fellas. I guess that when you start getting good at brewing your own, it limits your options when it comes to enjoyment of commercial brews. I guess I'll just have to try a few and go for the least objectionable.

Cheers

Hey mate! We're very regular traveller's to SE Asia (matter of fact, my profile pic was taken from a market in Ho Chi Minh and I had the squirts all night from that sauce you see for the spring rolls) Only megaswill available there my friend. As you'll find: you're lucky if you've got yours arms and legs in Vietnam, let alone any sort of cold beer. Places like Vietnam nake you realise how lucky you really are. Enjoy the experience. Saigon and 333 seem to be most popular. One thing I love about Asia (and most of the World mind you) is that you're trusted to sink a beer wherever you bloody well like. The shops say: Open? And have the bottle opener right there ready to go. Geez we're a nanny Country. . Can barely scratch your ass without someone complaining

• 2 weeks later...

Bia Saigon and 333 is everywhere for less than $1AUD - but it's water beer.

Larger restaurants and bars will have more of a selection of Asian beers - Tiger etc. Some imports like Heineken around. Generally nothing with any flavour!

If you're really craving something better you could seek something out on this site https://beervn.com

• 1 month later...

Well like Frosty Chop's Dad, when I was in 'Nam in '68 it was VB. Probably Fosters as well, but we got VB. Keep in mind though that when you ask a yank to supply your Regiment with some beer, you might get what we got - ROOT BEER devil. They did finally get us some VB, but they were even less popular than normal. Know it doesn't help any but that's my memory of 'Nam.

Archived