Coopers Community

What exactly is conditioning of beer?

perfection

I would like to know what exactly the term "conditioning of beer" means? (industrial sense of the word)

What happens during this stage?

Can someone please explain this to me with reference to ales and lagers separately and in detail?

Is it a part of fermentation step?

Is conditioning and ageing/maturing beer the same?

Thanks

It's a bit of an ambiguous term in some ways. It can refer to any stage post fermentation.

Straight after fermentation there is usually a period allowed for yeast to clean up after themselves, this could be classed as a form of conditioning. After this period it can (optionally) be chilled down to near freezing for a period of time, shorter or longer depending on ale/lager, this is called cold conditioning, it helps drop more yeast and other particulates out of suspension before it is then bottled or kegged and allowed to carbonate and mature, which is yet more conditioning.

I would like to know what exactly the term "conditioning of beer" means? (industrial sense of the word)

What happens during this stage?

Can someone please explain this to me with reference to ales and lagers separately and in detail?

Is it a part of fermentation step?

Is conditioning and ageing/maturing beer the same?

Thanks

According to my trusty go to book: John J Palmer - How to Brew;

"Conditioning - A term for secondary fermentation in which the yeast refine the flavours of the beer.

Conditioning continues in the bottle as long as there are active yeast present."

So essentially conditioning is everything that happens in the bottle during & after secondary fermentation including and beyond carbonation.

So far as ales, it's as simple as above, & yes essentially conditioning & ageing/maturing is the same thing.

For lagers it really depends on what your preferred lagering method is.

Some choose to lager their beer in the fermenting vessel, bringing the temperature down to those below the usual fermentation temperature (typically 0 - 5c, whereas lager yeast is usually only active above 10c). Lagering is essentially cold conditioning, but can be done in the bottle after secondary fermentation, or in the fermenter before secondary fermentation.

You could even lager your beer in the bottle prior to secondary fermentation, but this risks the yeast going to sleep, which can result in the brew taking longer to carbonate once it's brought back to ambient temperature.

Regardless of your lagering method, the conditioning phase is essentially the same when it comes to ales & lagers.

So going back to basics; conditioning is indeed secondary fermentation/ageing/maturing of your beer.

As to what actually goes on during conditioning, the yeast continues to break down any remaining sugars, & also works to balance out the flavours in your beer.

You'll notice that a beer opened 2 weeks after bottling will taste noticeably different to a beer that was bottled several months prior, this is conditioning at work, & it often softens the flavour & aroma of any hops added, & mellows the flavour of your brew.

Some beers are best consumed fresh, typically ales, whereas some beer, such as lagers benefit from several months conditioning prior to consumption.

Likewise some styles, typically beers with a higher A/V & hop presence will retain their flavour for as long as a year or more, whereas a lightly hopped ale has most likely passed its prime within about 6 - 9 months.

Hope that helps, & of course if I'm incorrect or inaccurate in any way, expect that someone will add their 2c worth.

Cheers.

It's a bit of an ambiguous term in some ways. It can refer to any stage post fermentation.

Straight after fermentation there is usually a period allowed for yeast to clean up after themselves' date=' this could be classed as a form of conditioning. After this period it can (optionally) be chilled down to near freezing for a period of time, shorter or longer depending on ale/lager, this is called cold conditioning, it helps drop more yeast and other particulates out of suspension before it is then bottled or kegged and allowed to carbonate and mature, which is yet more conditioning. [/quote']

+1

You could go so far as to say any process your brew undergoes once primary fermentation is complete is a conditioning process, so once your brew reaches FG, everything beyond is conditioning.

So if the yeast is dormemt' date=' what happens during lagering?[/quote']

Rather than go into great detail, it may be best to have a look at this thread, & the links it will lead you to.

https://www.coopers.com.au/coopers-forum/topic/13087/

Other than that, having a book handy like John J Palmer How To Brew is a good idea.

Cheers.

I just let my bottles sit at whatever the ambient room temp is.

I usually keep my most recent batch of bottles in boxes in the dining room under the table against the wall.

That said, we have A/C which I use if it's likely to get too hot or cold for comfort.

So far as I'm concerned, if the room temp is comfortable for me, it should be fine for my beer bottles.

Any time other than winter my bottles are usually fully carbed within 2 weeks.

The only thing to really be concerned about with your bottled beer is that you don't keep it too cold when it's carbonating, & obviously avoid exposure to direct sunlight or heat sources, so don't let it get too hot or too cold, other than when your pop it in the fridge to cool for drinking.

With that in mind, I've noticed my home brew is much better if it's spent a few days, or even a week or more in the fridge, prior to consumption, as the yeast & sediment really settle to the bottom, & are less likely to flow out of the bottle if you're careful, leaving you a much cleaner tasting & looking beer when you pour it.

In a more direct response to your question, I'd be starting to look at ways to cool by bottles down if they were getting any warmer than say 25c or so.

Archived