Coopers Community

Reverse Airlock

Slipper

I tried to warm up my brew with a hair dryer. This worked but now I've got the air going back through the airlock 3-4 times, but now seems to have settled & gone back to normal.

What may have caused this??

:evil: :evil: Bloody airlocks!! :evil: :evil:

Normally caused by condensation build up in the tube part of the airlock that fits through the grommet. Pull the airlock out, give it a good clean and refit.

When you heat up the air in the fermenter above the liquid, it will raise the air pressure and force some out of the air lock.

If that air is then allowed to cool quickly (before the CO2 from the fermenting beer has a chance to fill the space) this air will contract, causing a low pressure that will draw in air from outside, backwards through the air lock.

It would take a massive amount of hair dryer operation (very inefficient energy transfer) to warm 23 litres of wort!!

What temp had your brew got down to? How long has it been fermenting?

What is the SG?

Here's my airlock!

beersuff008.jpg

It's very high tech, I don't recommend trying it at home, 'cause you almost need a degree to put glad wrap on top of the fermenter and hold it down with the lid's o-ring. That's really tricky! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

And guess what, you can pick up your fermenter without sucking liquid from the airlock back into the beer! :wink:

Paul it had been fermenting for 5 days....all has worked out fine it would appear. The sg reading was 1008 over the last 24hrs and it started on 1050 so I bottled it tonight.

Thanks for all the feedback...the hairdryer was not quiet that big, but where do you get a photo like that?!

Archived