Coopers Community

Foghorn Brewhouse Newcastle

Brownsworthy

G'day guys,

I had the pleasure of going into the Foghorn Brewhouse last night for dinner and a few brews. The place is well set out with the brewery taking center stage with around 6 say 2000 litre fermenters and laid out so you can see the process from start to finish.

I started off with the house Pale Ale named The Foggy Brew ABV- 4.7%, IBU- 25, Malts- German Pilsner, Munich Type 2, Wheat Malt, Flaked Wheat. Hops- NZ Pacifica, NZ Dr Rudi, AUS Enigma. Not bad and you can certainly taste that Shaun Sherlock, the Owner and Brewer, is a fan of Belgian brews as there is a definite yeasty twang and nice malt flavour with little hop aroma and flavour.

Next up was the Summer Ale ABV- 4.9%, IBU- 30, Malts- German Pilsner and Wheat. Hops- NZ Green Bullet, US Amarillo, AUS Galaxy, NZ Nelson Sauvin. Now this was definitely a stand out with a fruity aroma, clean bitterness and nice subtle malt flavour.

Braveheart IPA ABV- 6.5%, IBU -70, Malts- German Pilsner, German Vienna. Hops- NZ Wakatu Flowers, NZ Green Bullet, US Columbus, US Citra, US Mosaic, NZ Nelson Sauvin. This brew is a good example of a West Coast American IPA very bitter with lots of hop aroma and flavour though I thought there may be a little too much going on.

Extra Extra Special Bitter ABV- 5.8%, IBU- 50, Malts- UK Maris Otter, UK Dark Crystal, UK Medium Crystal, UK Chocolate Malt, Flaked Wheat. Hops- NZ Green Bullet, NZ Wakatu Flowers, US Citra, AUS Galaxy. Now this brew was my absolute favourite of the night it had a rich caramel malt flavour with a little hint of chocolate nice bitterness very much what I like in an ESB though it kinda has an American flavour with the hops that have been used a very interesting take on an ESB and I like it.

Next was an interesting brew called 'Bloohey's' which was made in support of the NSW Blues and was made with one of Paul Harrigans' NSW jerseys. ABV 5.5%, IBU- 30, Malts- German Pilsner Malt, German Munich type 2, UK Medium Crystal 145 EBC. Hops- AUS Galaxy, AUS Enigma. Now it was pretty hard to follow up from the EESB so this brew didn't do much for me again I could notice the Belgian influence from the yeast though not much else.

I then finished off with Belgio Blonde Ale ABV- 7.0%, IBU- 25. Malts- Belgian Pilsner, German Munich 2, Wheat Malt, Flaked Wheat, Abbey Malt. Hops- NZ Green Bullet, NZ Riwaka. A beautiful example of a Belgian blonde nice malt sweetness with a lovely yeast bite and citrus hop flavour.

So if your in Newcastle I recommend dropping by for a few ales and a feed, the Summer Ale and the Extra Extra Special Bitter are a must IMHO, it's a wonderful night out and I can only see it improving as they've only been in business just over a month or so.

Cheers

Deleted Hairy's reply because it broke the thread - no idea how this happens. pinched

Nice write up Brownsworthy. Newcastle seems to have a thriving craft beer scene at present.

Not sure about a beer made with a footy jersey though unsure

edit:looks like the cause of the problem was the " ] " missing off the code string for the "unsure" image...

Archived