Coopers Community

coopers pale ale concentrate in recipes

THIRSTY MATT

g'day all,

after a convo with my local brew shop bloke the other day,my minds been ticking over about coopers pale ale, which to my memory(please correct me if im wrong paul)

IS :

"pale malt or malts" and "pride of ringwood hops".

so the convo was about why my locals recipe for a commercial beer used hersbucker as aroma hop and the other homebrew dude used saaz as the aroma hop or whatever it was..etc etc

he said "DIFFERENT MEANS TO AN END".......so im thinkin "do these dudes just make this stuff up??".

anyway...get to the point matt........i think RECIPE WISE, pale ale concentrate could be the most under rated concentrate for commercial recipes....i mean think about it...malt wise its good for ale or lager...it has australias most popular bittering hop and the rest of the flavour is added by you.

either through fermentation/yeast or by aroma hops.

id even think about putting it on the can paul...."great starting point for many commercial recipes!" or something like.

am i making sense here paul.....or am i way off????

actually, my ticking mind has another question,,,,is cluster hop used in any coopers beers or concentrates??

and how would describe the cluster hop...do you use this hop???

cheers

matt

At the moment, the only aroma hops used in our commercial beers are Saaz, excluding Vintage as its recipe changes every release.

Plenty of people use the Lager or the Pale Ale homies as a base for various recipes. The Lager contains 100% pale malt with a bitternes of 390 while Pale Ale is pale malt with a smidge of wheat and a bitterness of 340.

Cluster has fallen out of favour these days. It was the hop used in XXXX bitter but I don't know about now? I'm told that Cluster from the USA has a different character than Cluster from Aus.

hi all!

paul,is the sparkling ale concentrate just pale malts and the one bittering hop?????

im making my beers to 25litres and i thought seeing as the bitterness is higher in sparkling as compared to aussie pale ale, that it might be a better base for my recipes?

im using concentrates that are just malt n PoR hop, and i add an aroma hop,im playing saaz n cascade at the moment.

cheers

matt

Yes, you may find that the Sparkling Ale kit gives you a more appropriate bittering level.

Alternatively, you could use the lower bitterness kits then boil some malt extract with hop additions at; 30mins = bitterness, 15mins = flavour and flamout = aroma.

• 1 month later...

hi guys n girls,

i just tasted a well chilled 3.5 week old "bottle" of my recent "use of pale ale as my base for recipe".

it was made to 25 litres with be1, i stirred in a teabag of cascade hops just before i added the cold water and i used a *saf s-23 lager yeast*.

@ 25 degrees n brought down to 14 over 30 odd hrs, fermented at 14 for 14days for a final gravity of 1008 from 1034 (that seemed pretty quik to get f.g. after 14 days but anyway). . then i chilled/cleared it in 2nd fermenter for 6 days before keg/bottling.

SO: its not what i want, nice lawnmower beer but come out a little too clean and lacking a little flavour.

i definately like my beers pale but i need to be using ale yeast i think???

some sort of yeast flavour is probably what im missing!?!?

also the hop flavour wasnt quite right...???.....maybe ill do the hot water thing with the hops next time or just drop em in with yeasts but up the dosage???..maybe i squeezed the grubby acids outta the hops when i stirred em?

anyway i got one on now using sparkling ale as my base so i can keep my bitterness levels up at 25 litres!

...still gun shy from WYEAST.....ever since my new k mart t shirt got belgian ardeened.....i swear i didnt smack it that hard!!!

anytips on a wyeast for a sparkling ale with b.e.2 at 25 litres...n maybe a handful of saaz?

or should i just stick with the belgian ardene?( i love belgian pales!)

cheers

matt

p.s. if i wright in here too much paul you have two choices...just let me know n i wont bore everyone(or overload the website) OR stop making sparkling ale!!! ....everytime i drink sparkling i get this massive urge to post in here man! :lol:

Making up a 1.7kg can to 25litres will dilute, bitterness, flavour, colour, alcohol.

So it's fair to say that diluting carries the potential to disappoint :(

What style/type of beer (outcome) do you have in mind?

• 1 month later...

hi all,

just an opinion to share after my latest tasting....

the sparkling ale kit in my opinion is FANTASTIC for making a mid strength beer!!

the bitterness is just right for me!

sparkling ale + 1kg of BE2 or BE1 too 25litres......your choice for hopping or yeasts! (i used BE1 and 12g of saaz n lager yeasts at 11 degreez,,,,needs 24g saaz me thinks!)

cheers

matt

lol,

i know.....but i want a mid strength with flavour!

pauls way is more sensible.."cut back on fermentables, dont add more water!"

but i was being a tight ass,,,I will try the same recipe with liquid yeasts and liquid malt n more saaz next time!

fill ya in in a coupla months!

cheers

matt

Hey Matt,

I'm interested to know what you call mid strength?

I've been making lots of ales lately that are around the 6.5% mark. (That's about my normal beer strength at the moment)

I made a mid strength that came out at about 3.5%.

I reckon around 3 to 4% is my mid strength range.

hey guys,

luke,,bout 3.6 - 3.8% mate!

coopers dad there is different ways of adding hops, with and without the bag.

paul is the best one to ask mate, tell him a beer ya like n he will point ya in the right direction!

yuo can put tea bag or pelletts in hot water n "steep' the hops then strain into fermenter when mixing up or you can just drop the bag in dry before pitching yeast!

you will be adding flavour and aroma to your beer by adding "late".

if you want to add more bitterness ya boil your bittering hop with some malt,luke or paul will have to help ya on that one!!

cheers

matt

hey Matt.

Getting back to your original issue on CPA hop addition if I understood your posting correctly: after a lot of experimentation, my brew buddy and I have settled on

Coopers Aussie Ale +

BE 2 +

250g pale malt powder +

Hallertau hops (steeped and added when pitching).

Fermented at 18 - 20 deg C for 6 - 7 days ( I think this temp sees both the lager and ale yeast activited and produces less esters)

We've found that fresh flowers beats plugs, which beats pellets hands down.

We're not really trying to emulate CPA, but it's not too far away, and we think it has exceptional balance whilst still having a good breadth and depth of flavour

cheers mate!

ive always thought about using hallertau...then again ive thought about many things n never got around to em!

the pale ale is a beauty, i definately gotta get back to using it!

i really think the "smidge of wheat malt" (as paul refers to it) makes a difference!!

might go surf "hallertaus' characteristics now....

your a bugger catpaw, i gotta work tomorrow but now im gonna be up all night thinkin bout beer!

:lol:

matt

:lol: :lol: :lol:

that post had a lil cheer about it paul..........your on it arent ya??

your down in your little brew/computer room alone listenin to either ac/dc or creedance or some classic rock outfit............drinkin "PB ale".

Archived