Coopers Community

Cooper's Commercial Long Necks

For several months I have been collecting Cooper's glass long necks (mainly the pale ale). While sorting my gear out for my next batch to bottle. I noticed that some of the long necks have a DO NOT REFILL mark on the base of the bottle.

I'm hoping they are still good to use. Any thoughts?

I specifically collected the Cooper's ones as I have read several times that the glass is thicker and are good to use over and over again.

Cheers

They should still weigh more than 1/2 a kilo when empty - goal weight is 525g. So nothing has changed there. However, the bottle supplier has insisted that the words "NO REFILL" should be added to these bottles as they are not prepared to guarantee the bottles when used by third parties. Fair enough, I guess, when one considers the level of mistreatment a bottle may go through in the course of its life sideways

Thanks for the reply. I had a feeling it was for insurance purposes. Since I've only been using glass a short while, I'm still really careful with priming and capping.

Maybe my digital scales are out. But when comparing empty labeled ones with the older non labeled. The labeled ones where lighter by roughly 30 grams. Most labeled ones sitting at roughly 495 grams with the non labeled at about 528.

Thanks

Hey pb2 that explanation would have been great when I asked the same question in my Topic " Coopers Glass Tallies" .......

Y'a win some and Y'a loose some always remember scales. wink

Cheers.

I know Magnaman but it's been a long time since I won one.

Hey pb2 that explanation would have been great when I asked the same question in my Topic " Coopers Glass Tallies" .......
Must have slipped through to the keeper - sorry sideways

Don't worry James' date=' a couple of my Q's have slipped by PB2 as well - I reckon he's a pretty busy bloke.[/quote']

Yeah don't worry James. PB2 pretty much ignores me most of the time too! Haha! tonguelol

Given the variety of topics & the speed at which they can disappear from view, about 18 months ago I started a thread in the hope it might help co-forum members grab PB2's attention if they had a question to ask him.

SHOUT OUT: PB2

Paul is a wealth of knowledge & experience, & has a lot of professional brewing info that us 'Plebbies' simply aren't privy to. I for one have certainly learned a lot from his posts over the last 3 or so years on the forum. cool

Although I started the thread with a personal question of my own, I figured the topic might stand out as an obvious beacon that a forum member would appreciate PB2's personal view on a particular matter.

The thread is certainly there for those that wish to use it. Whether PB2 answers your question or not, is of course completely up to him.

He is a nice guy though! biggrin

Lusty.

• 1 month later...

Just had my first bottle bomb in many years, a pale ale longneck, label still intact enough to read "Best After 25/7/14". Could not find enough of the bottom to see if it had "Do not refill".

The beer was a Hefeweizen brewed as per the Coopers recipe bottled 25/1/15, still got about a dozen to go and drinking nicely so I hope the rest hang in there.

• 4 weeks later...

I realised this NO REFILL, on 18 bottles during a bottle clean up and sort. The no refills seemed to be lighter than those marked without. Decided to do some research and weighed 3 different no refill bottles against 3 without the mark. Give or take 2 to 3 grams due to my salter scale. NO Refills 498g each. The others 540g each. Thinner glass me thinks. Coopers skimping on quality dare I say?

Yep, I just weighed two new empty pale ale longnecks, the weights were 497 and 498 grams.

Two old longies from 2011 that I have been reusing for home brew weighed in at 539 and 577 grams.

Not particularly pleased about this... I might even call the customer service hotline to register my un-satisfaction. Politely, of course.

Archived