Coopers Community

original series REAL ALE

THIRSTY MATT

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Matt, my house yeast is American ale yeast (Wyeast 1056 - I think it's the same as US-05). I've had the culture going now for over a year and it's still going strong! I get a starter going the night before a brew and it's at high krausen at pitching! Man, it's good stuff! I use it for most of my ales and stouts, a real all rounder!

If you're gonna call the beer 'Hammerhead' you should 'hammer' it with Cascade dry hops - about 20-30g after about the 3rd or 4th day of fermentation. 8)

cheers guys!

i reckon the all malt has enough to balance almost any hops i can throw at it!!

always wanted to try chinook.....i love cascade......i love amarillo.........THANK YOU POSSING MORE QUESTIONS GUYS!!! :x

:D

cheers

matt

hi all,

lukes mention of his house yeast has got me thinking...

if i bought n used a nice liquid yeast n simply recycled it (i have done this before and i am comfortable with it) n stored it in a sanitized empty plastic coke bottle or a coopers pet bottle in the fridge, how many times could i keep recycling the yeast?

paul, you got an opinion on this above mate?

culturing just seems to be bloody annoying!! ( yes im lazy!)

cheers

matt

Just letting you know, I don't repitch the yeast from batch to batch, I make a large starter from the original pack and split it into about 6 longnecks. Then I make starters from the longnecks for each batch! When I'm down to my last longneck of yeast, I make another large starter and split it into another 6 longnecks!

brewcellar craphouse yeast.....i pitched it in my "hammerhead' @ 26 degrees n it has died!

24hrs later, no fermenting going on n yeast is on bottom!!!

gonna have to rehydrate a coupla original series yeasts i think.........if anyone gets this message in the next 30 mins n has abetter idea, please speak up!

its 1220pm sunday

cheers

matt

i wanted an american ale yeast...and brewcellar is "actually saf s05".

but the place i bought it dont refridgerate his yeasts and i pitched it at 26???

too high?

or bad storage?

or bad luck?

im pissed orrff anyway!

i rehydrated two coopers original series yeasts n pitched them at 22 degrees !

pray for my beer mate, its a $29 mix up, i dont wanna toss it!!

cheers

matt

I'm praying for ya mate! Beer is the only religion in this house! :wink:

26 is a bit on the high side, but it should've been ok.

Did ya re-hydrate the craphouse or pitch it dry?

You probably just got a dud batch (remember, the Coopers yeast isn't in the fridge when you buy a kit!)

• 3 weeks later...

just tasted my hammerhead after 14days in bottle.

(read back for recipe)

mate.....its bloody bitter!!!

but heaps good.....INTERESTING!!!

....put it this way, i wouldnt be embarassed to serve it to paul if he came to my house!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

gonna save the keg (well ill try too)...n drink it when the bitterness has mellowed!!!

in colour its prolly a lil closer too english bitter than golden ale.

the 30 grams of cascade added late taste like 15 grams due too bitterness n caramalt etc

nah.....ya knw what......its better than good .....its pretty special!!

cant wait for keg in a coupla months............or even next winter???!!

cheers

matt

• 3 weeks later...

i couldnt be stuffed reading back through the posts, but ive made a "lager"using real ale as the base ( have i mentioned this?).

i went : real ale, 1kg light dry too 25litres with 12grams of saaz from a saf34/70 yeast at a good 14 degrees.

GOOD BEER!!!! A LAGER WITH FLAVOUR!!

need a different aroma hop though me thinks...hallertau maybe...n 20 odd grams worth!

this could become a staple beer for me!!!

anyone else used darker malts as lagers????

cheers

matt

Yeah, I guess Carlton Black fits into this category. Although, "Black Beer" or "Black Pils" is a fairly loose way to describe this style, quite often the beers in this category are on the dark side but not black!

If you are happy with Real Ale as a base you could try giving it a bit extra colour and complexity by replacing the Light Dry Malt with a can of Amber Malt.

done the real ale with amber malt paul, just with an ale yeast!

it was great!!!

as for saying real ale was "dARKISH"i was just kinda refering to it being 2.5 times darker than most lager bases in the homebrew range.

bad choice of words...lol...long day at work !!

im gonna keep using real ale as base as ive decided i like biTter beers.

anyway, you all have a lovely day....im puffed out n going to bed!!

cheers

matt

• 2 months later...

Im about to make my first Real Ale! I will be making it to the unreal Ale recpie. Thats 1kg of BE1 and 500g of LDM.

Im thinking of chucking in The real Ale yeast along with a pack of yeast i got when i bought a Morgans blue Moutian Lager. my question is does anyone know what kind of yeast this is? The guy at the brew shop said it was not a true lager yeast, so when i made the BLMNT Larger i put a true lager yeast in. But the front of the pack says its a lager yeast....then on the back of the yeast pack it says Add to brew at temperature of 15 to 30c!!! So i was thinking its a blended yeast?

Anyway i just wanted to know if anyone knows what kind of yeast it is and if it would be ok to chuck in to my Unreal ale mix!?

Also what do you think the aprox Alc content will be for the unreal Ale brew?

Cheers! and sorry for making this so long winded!

Hey Aussie!!

Stick to the recipe and it should come out a tad over 5%.

If you can ferment at a temp below 20C throw the Blue Mountain yeast in as well, can't hurt. :)

Where are the aroma hops!! I thought you were looking at growing your own hops? If you have some aroma hops they will go well with this recipe :wink:

Thanks for the quick reply Paul!

As far as hopping goes all ive ever done is chuck in a morgans steaping bag while the brew ferments.

Right now im not bothering with hops. im just keeping it simple and cheap, couple of weeks back i made the coopers PA...just keeping my stocks up untill i get my kegs and fridge set up then ill start experamenting again.

As far as growing my own hops. the house i bought has an over grown crazy mess of a garden so i want to bring that under controll before i plant any hop plants.

Thanks for ya help! :) Hope it turns out nice!

Archived