Coopers Community

original series REAL ALE

THIRSTY MATT

OK OK another topic started by matt the serial pest!

im just looking for a little more flavour but i want to be able to have a session without heartburn.

as some of you will know i drink lagers and pale ales in general.

what i wanna know is,does REAL ALE have any offensive flavours?

i wanna give it a shot!!!

but i dont want a batch i cant finish!!

for example ........i could not drink more than one stout.....or dark ale........i could appreciate them ,, but not more than one.

ok in a nut shell.....is "real ale" mellow enough to be a session beer but still have flavour?

im thinkin maybe a real ale n B.E.1?

cheers

matt

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thirsty, I also drink Pale Ales most of the time. I also appreciate a long neck of stout or porter after a couple of lighter ales. I haven't made the original Real Ale because I was told by someone who made it that I wouldn't like the bitterness. So as far as I know it is the bitterness that may be the only offensive characteristic.

If you don't get enough feedback let me know and I'll run a batch and tell you.

G'day Matt,

I have only ever made the Real Ale a couple of times, I wasn't a great fan of the flavour from memory, though it was quite a few years ago I made it. I would think anyone who likes pale ale would have no trouble getting through a batch of Real Ale. I am more of a heavy fan, as in bitter, stout etc. not so much heavy as in alcohol but body. My favourite quaffing beer, as I have said before, is a can of bitter, a can of draught and 1kg of BE2 made to 46l with both yeasts.

I often consider making another batch of Real Ale just to refresh my memory. (Or destroy it)...........Probably not much help, but at least you now have my feedback as well!

I regulary brew Real Ale using BE2, infact I put one down yesterday.

I have it as one of my regular beers on tap along with pale ale (light and heavy), an original bitter, dark ale and/or stout.

I suppose it depends on a person's indvidual palate whether they find it bitter but I find it does have a slightly sharp taste. I suppose its a bit like a Reches draught although I have never put each next to one another for a taste/bitterness test.

Some of my mates go for it and others prefer the other brews.

It most certainly benefits from conditioning over a month or more.

Cheers

Peter

thanks heaps guys!!

that was really good feed back.

when im up poo creek or its real tchnical i want a reply from paul pronto, but i really like "the other blokes" opinion in situations like these.

i might do one around march n have it ready for winter.

i might use be1 as well it might mellow it a bit.......then again it might let the bitterness shine harder!?

ah well ive got till march to decide.

ive been scared off by "full bodied" beers after doing a "toucan lager"......i made a toucan pale ale too which is chilling to be gassed now...but be2 should be ok.

ok ill stop thinking aloud in here!!

cheers people

matt

Real Ale bitterness tends to be in the high 20's.

The good thing about bitterness is that it softens with time - a brew with eye-brow raising, mouth puckering bitterness now will mellow nicely in 6 to 12 mths 8)

The "unreal ale" recipe has enough malt and matodextrin to balance the bitterness: http://coopers.com.au/homebrew/makeBeer ... =5&bid=110

• 3 months later...

G'day Matt,

This post prompted me to do another real ale to refresh my memory on it!.........ignore all I said earlier, I tried a bottle last night, about three weeks in the bottle made with 500gm light dry malt, bloody beautiful! It is nothing like I remember the earlier ones I tried, great taste, plenty of bubbles rising from the glass in a nice clear beer, great head (......and we all know how important that is!) I will be making more. When I think back to my earlier attempts I now remember that I was simply brewing in a tin shed, with very little temp control, not much experience and then storing it in the same shed for final "conditioning" no wonder I have bad memories about it. I will definately be doing another one. My English bitter is ready to bottle so I might put one on after that.

Did you ever put one on?

• 1 month later...

hi all,

paul, my next recipe is the "unreal ale".

i was just going through the yeasts i have in the fridge as i want to pitch 14grams, can you tell me what ones are not coopers ale strain?

yeasts from: real ale, original lager, sparkling ale, pale ale and aussie bitter.

i know the original series is all the coopers strain, just not sure about some internationals and thomas coopers etc

aussie bitter is a lager strain isnt it?

the rest are all the same?

cheers

matt

i tell ya what paul...if it makes it easier just tell me what concentrates dont have the coopers ale strain n ill post it under YEASTS or something n ya wont have to go through this again :D .......i swear ive asked 20 yeast questions before.... :oops:

Copied from a post in 2007 - edited for new brews :wink:

So to extend the inital listing to include yeast sachet codes if they were packaged today being the 268th day of 2007:

Original Series:- Ac (26807)

International Series:-

Australian Pale Ale - Ac+L (26807 Int)

Mexican Cerveza - Ac+L (26807 Int)

European Lager - L (26807 P)

Canadian Blonde - Ac (26807)

English Bitter - Ac (26807)

Brewmaster Selection:-

Wheat - A (26807 W)

IPA - Ac (26807 IPA)

Irish Stout - A (26807 IS)

Pilsener - L (26807 P)

Premium Selection:- Ac+L (26807 PS)

Note: Ac = Coopers ale yeast, A = ale yeast and L = lager yeast

• 5 weeks later...

I MADE THE BESTEST BEER!!!!

coopers real ale + 1.5kg of coopers amber liquid malt 14g of original series yeast (the yeast that is supplied) @ 24 degrees n pretty much held 24 degrees.....dropped too 18 to clear.

now i usually dont like beers"with colour'...but this is fantastic!!

i just need an aroma hop...styrian goldings comes to mind???

anything , anyone???

paul??? you back???

cheers

matt

p.s. i will try the unreal recipe one day....but i think 4 years of kit brewing have found me a "new regular"!!!

i will make this one many times again...need that aroma hop though!

Good Holiday? Yes thanks! :)

Tried a few interesting brews while away:

Red Hill Brewery, Mornington Peninsula, nice imperial stout, they grow their own hops and have excellent food.

Hargreaves Hill Brewing Company, cellar door outlet on the main street in Yarra Glen (their brewery was burnt down and they are just getting back on their feet), fabulous ESB with a generous helping of Nelson Sauvin hops.

Coldstream Brewery, Coldstream, nice looking pizzas, 3 beers + a specialty brew (delicious porter) and a very good sparkling cider.

Three breweries on your holiday.

Sounds like work to me. :shock:

Red Hill is fantastic to visit in late summer or early autumn, when the weather is warmer and the vines are full of hop cones. Simply sublime!

im an obsessive compulsive, i do everything full noise!!

i was gonna stick with my recipe for real ale n just add a aroma hop, but i cant help my self ,so ive gone out and bought the following to be put down next week:

1 x real ale

1 x 1.5kg liquid caramalt

24g of cascade to be steeped with 150g of crystal grain

and 12g of saaz to go in dry just before yeast

1 x brewcellar american ale yeast (which i think is saf s 05 ?)

im going to call this beer "HAMMERHEAD!"... :lol:

so why am i telling you?

i think i want someone to stop me if it isnt going to work out right?????

opinions?

cheers

matt

Archived