Coopers Community

gassing keg/ageing beer???

THIRSTY MATT

Impatient \u2026 But I want it NOW!!!

OK, yes I am being impatient.

I thought you would get a laugh out of that Matt. :lol:

I had my beer fridge in the laundry and do not have room for a beer. So after much thought I went a bought a second hand large pine buffet hutch. My wife said it was the best piece of furniture we ever owned. Anyway, my plan was to remove the bottom shelf on the hutch so the I could put a beer tap there, and run the line through the wall from the laundry.

It seemed like a good plan anyway.

That was until I found out how well made this piece of furniture was. That single shelf was held in by not only nails, but also dowels and glue. So, by the time I finally hacked out the shelf. Our beautiful piece of furniture looked worse for the wear. :( :oops:

However, many hours of fiddling with stains, varnish, and wood has left me with something that looks alright (as long as you don\u2019t look too close).

I now have one tap, and a hole next to it for the next one, in a piece of stainless steel in the middle of the hutch. :D

The tap is a fridge tap, so it has a large shank at the back, which will heat up the beer while it is being poured. Anyway I'll have another go tonight when I get home.

Well its pouring pretty good now.

The beer's down to around 2 degrees and the pressure is around 80kPa.

I'll going to try a few different pressures to see what works best. :lol: 8) :D :)

The beer I have now is a Cooper's sparkling ale style, using cultivated Coopers yeast. It is quite cloudy, even after a few beers.

What sort of yeast would be best to make a clearer ale, cultivated Coopers yeast from the bottle, dried Coopers yeast from the kit, or a commercial dried yeast. I don't want to spend $18 on a liquid yeast, even if it is good.

Thanks Paul, I'll be making a porter with the Coopers yeast tonight.

I've been reading about keeping yeast on slants and related topics, but it all seems too complicated at the moment. Although I might take Luke's suggestion and try splitting the liquid yeast up into stubbies for the next batch.

• 3 weeks later...

Just finished a keg that was fermented with dry yeast.

Poured crystal clear all the way to the last glass. I didn't rack it and I forced carbed it for a week at 12psi.

I didn't mature it at all, but that said I chilled it before I transferred it to the keg which probably dropped out a bit of yeast.

Archived