Coopers Community

gassing keg/ageing beer???

THIRSTY MATT

hi all,

i have just put on a coopers traditional draught with 500g of light dry malt,with 2 x safale s-04 yeasts.

i want to drink this beer on christmas eve.

due to minimal frige space,can i leave this beer to age at room temp ungassed and then just before christmas chill and gas it???

cheers

matt

Hi Matt,

Yes you can do that and it won't affect the beer. :D

You have two options:

Naturally carbonate the keg with about 130-140g sugar (just like bottling) or,

Force carbonate a few days before Christmas Eve. (This will give you a clearer beer).

Just purge the headspace before you store the keg.

Cheers,

Luke.

I think natural carbonation with priming sugar is more likely to keep the beer in the best condition. I must admit that I haven't actually weighed the amount of priming sugar but just short of 1/3 of a cup works for me.

hi all,

thanks paul,im kegging again in about a week,ill naturally corbonate that one as ive already stored the one in question.

mate this keg buisness really is a learning thing,lots of trial and error.

i gassed my first keg a week ago at 220kpa for 24 hrs (after chilling it for 24hrs).

tasted it friday night and it was little flat.

my local homebrew man said just leave the gas hooked up at pouring pressure.

but i got the shits by sunday afternoon and give it 300 kpa last night for 12 hrs.

anyway i guess you guys know the next bit..........the beer "motors" out of the beer line n its all head.

im slowly degassing it now and drinking foam :lol: ....not really i just wait for the head to go down.

funny thing is it isnt bubbling like buggery(in the glass i mean) like i thought it would be,does taste a little better though.

the beer line is still 2m long,ive got bubbles in it, ive tried a pouring pressure everywhere from 30kpa to 100kpa yet my laundry is still froth city.

this post is way to long,im going now to headbutt the wall...makes me feel better!

cheers guys

matt

If the beer is at 4degC or less, 100kpa should be about right for pouring pressure.

Ideally, the beer line should be cold - CO2 will break out of solution if the beer warms.

Also, the beer line restricts flow as a function of its length and inside diameter. Go for 5mm or less as inside diameter. Otherwise, you may need another metre or so of line. Some home brew suppliers offer in-line restrictors.

Don't forget to release the 300kpa carbonating pressure off the beer before pouring the first beer :wink:

hi paul,

thanks mate.

ill give 100 kpa a go tomorrow,im too puffed out to have a beer today.

the beer line ive got is 5mm,so im right there.

so for next time:

if i bulk prime(to natraully carbonate ) ,do i do it in second fermenter or just pour sugar in bottom of keg?

also what do you find more consistent or just plain better...natraul or forced carbonation?

cheers

matt

Both Frank (customer service, brewery tour host and home brewer dude) and I secondary ferment our kegs. It cleans the beer up, gives a creamier foam and increases longevity of the brew.

It also gives the option of serving cloudy ale if the brew style suits - just agitate the keg prior to chilling it down.

Throw the sugar into the keg, fill and seal then invert and rock it back and forth to mix the sugar in - this should also help to check the integrity of the seal. Leave to condition for at least 2 weeks.

• 5 months later...

hi guys,

i didnt want to start another forum and i had a quik look through the previous posts but couldnt find what i was lookin for.(although its probably on here).

how do i know when my gas bottle is nearly empty???

i have a two dial reg.

it has 400kpa maximum pressure.

the dial closest to the gas bottle used to read 5000 when you opened the tap.

it now reads 4000.

i am naturally carbonating and pouring at 100 kpa.

how low does it get for me to start thinking about a regas???

cheers

matt

p.s. i just cleaned out my first naturally carbonated keg.

there was some crap on the bottom,but cleaning was piece of cake.

no where near as bad as i thought it would be...im addicted toonaturall carb now!

Hi Matt, the only accurate way of telling is if you weigh the cylinder.

I think a "D" size holds about 6kgs from memory.

There's a TW (Tare Weight) stamp on the bottle and it's the weight of the empty cylinder.

Only thing is you need some pretty accurate digital scales.....

Cheers,

Luke.

• 3 weeks later...

hi all,

i naturally carbonated a keg n over gassed it.

trial n error...bloody rushing things etc.....paul says"just a smidge under 1/3 of a cup!"

i was doing an original lager n used about a 1/3....anyway....

i go down the drive through at my local to get a slab and he says to me...."open the keg n pour a warm glass of water in their,put lid back on n burp the keg clean every time ya get a stubbie, by this arvo it should be degassed enough!!

im trying it....ill let ya all know how it goes!!!

like ive said before i soak up anything anyone says,,,,,and ive tried way worse ideas than this!!!

paul if you have an opinion mate please share???

anyone else same deal???

cheers :D

matt

hang on hang on... i think ive had a brain explosion!!!!

was just reading old posts!!

i only put the keg in the fridge last night.....maybe its all foam cause its not cold enough!!!!?????

oohhh man!! :lol:

am i a d'head paul??

help!

cheers

matt

p.s. my fridge is definately cold enough!!

colder than kitchen fridge etc

IT WORKED GUYS!!!

i probably made my beer more open to infection by opening it,,,,but it worked.

ive had 11 stubbies.......each stubbie i let the pressure out...(remember on stubbie 1 i added the schooner of warm water!).

paul if you get time, have i been risky???

im now pouring a great beer at about 90kpa.

cheers ppl

matt

Thirsty, a warm glass of water, really!! :roll:

It may not have been cold enough, so a tad longer in the fridge would help. Running a few glasses off and burping the keg a few times, prior to connectng the gas for pouring pressure can help to settle it down.

Perhaps you should start a thread - "Crazy things that I have tried."

Normally, I open the keg once it has blown dry.

There has been the odd time when experimenting with Pure Hop Aroma - tried squirting a little extra into the keg. Don't know if PHA is available at retail...Craft Brewer might have it??

• 4 weeks later...

Well I\u2019ve finally done it and moved to Kegging my beer. I haven\u2019t had a decent beer as yet though, as I\u2019m only getting froth out of the tap so far. :D

My wife was very supportive and told me she always wanted a machine that does froth for cappuccinos. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

After rereading some of Matt and Paul\u2019s posts here, I set the fridge to a bit colder, will try again tonight after it cools a bit more, and settles down.

I didn\u2019t flush out the lines before use, as didn\u2019t have a keg I could use. Does anyone know if there is any way to do this without a keg connected?

Archived