Coopers Community

Experimental Toucan

Barossa

Hi,

I'm looking at doing my first toucan. Their are two reasons for this (no pun intended).

1.) I'm using up what I have.

2.) The standard EB kit is a little on the sweet side for me.

So here is what I'm thinking:

1 x 1.7kg Coopers EB can

1 x 1.7kg Coopers Lager can

1 x 500g Coopers LDM

1 x 1kg Dextrose

1 x 7g yeast from the EB can

1 x 7g yeast from the Lager can

Would using the two types of yeast be a problem?

Is the above worth me experimenting with or do you think it will just turn out tasting like crap.

All feedback greatly appreciated.

Depending on your brewing experience...I would suggest you would be better of looking through the recipes on this site, make 2 brews using the ingredients you have, buy the other ingredients you would need.

Others may have different opinions, but thats the safer way to a couple of great batches.

Having said that Ive made a couple of funky toucans that turned out great.

I guess it comes down to what you want, do you want lots of good beer, or do you feel the need to experiment ? Either can be very rewarding.

Cheers rightful

Guzz

ps: I am an annoying Libran who sometimes has trouble making decisions.....

Hi Barossa.

IMHO your brew will end up presenting way too bitter for what will essentially be quite a light coloured beer with an ABV of approx. 7.8%.

I'm with Guzz on this one.

Let his self-confessed annoying star sign tendencies be a guiding light to you on this one. tongue

For just a little more expense, perhaps try this recipe with your English Bitter kit...

Coopers DIY: Extra Smooth Bitter

Here's a few ideas about what to do with the Lager kit... wink

Coopers O.S. Lager Kit Challenge: Candidates

I hope that helps.

P.S. Philbo_Baggins had a really good idea of what to do with the O.S. lager kit, but unfortunately it didn't qualify as a recipe, & thus didn't make the final cut of candidates. wink

Cheers,

Anthony.

Thanks, I appreciate the feedback.

I'm on my 7th brew and have been playing around with hops on my last two batches and I still feel the need to experiment! I've got a batch in bottles of a tried and tested recipe so there is room to try something different without running out of beer!

I'm not a larger man so that can is going to sit there unless I try something with it as all my brews are bitters (being an Englishman I guess my taste buds are adjusted for bitterness!).

Decisions, decisions! I'll stop by DM's today see if there is anything on special and go from there!

BTW does anyone know what happens if you mix two different kinds of yeast? Does it still ferment or do they compete against each other?

Yew just put my first toucan down this weekend too...

1 Aus Pale

1 Dark Ale

15min 15g Hallertau Boil

5min 10g Hallertau Boil and into fv

OG 1040

Smells amazing my whole garage is filled with beer smell haha.. Pity i have another 3 weeks to wait...

Archived