Coopers Community

1st Attempt, strange gunge!

GazMc54

Hi all,

I've just bottled my very first attempt at Home Brew, (Coopers Australian Lager) and noticed thick gunge at the bottom of the FV. Should I have stirred before bottling? Is this normal?

For the record, temperature was a steady 22 degrees Celsius, SG was 1038, after 5 days I measured again at 1015, and this stayed the same for a further 2 days so I decided it was no longer fermenting and bottled it. Works out at 3.5%ABV?

I about to sanitise using non scented bleach, is this ok?

Hoping to hear from you experts ;)

GazMc54

The gunge at the bottom of FV is the dead yeast ,when you bottle your beer you will leave that behind ,DO NOT STIR IT UP

sorry i did not read your question properly

its not the done thing but your beer should be ok it will just have a fair bit of sediment in bottle

and its not poison

G'day GazMc54, welcome to the Forum.

david47 & Ben 10 have made the point +1 here.

Yes you can use the bleach option to clean, make sure you don't use to much or in to great a concentration. Rinse very well as some have had problems with the bleach smell lingering, other have not.

You may find this link helpful? What to use to clean my beer gear?... wink

See here what Ben 10 spoke of. Coopers, Brewing FAQs ... smile

Cheers.

Great stuff, thanks fella's. I'm sure I'll be back with amateur sounding questions more often. I'm completely new to this, but so far so good, and I can see why some people get almost addicted to home brewing. I can't wait to start my next batch, but I'm waiting to see how my first batch turns out, in case I made any mistakes. Only time will tell.

Thanks again

Gaz

Hey Gaz,

one thing a lot of people do is aim for 18-20c.

A great sanitiser is starsan, also marketed as phosphoric sanitiser in some shops.

It's also common to leave it in the FV for two weeks, that helps the yeast clear up and any solids settle to the bottom. After this period some people also cool the fv down for a week say 1-4c, that really makes it drop any particles down.

I have only been doing this for 6 weeks or so, and I have learned a lot just from reading old threads, there is a lot of info stored there, so have a flick through when you have spare time.

Cheers MM

Archived