Coopers Community

Stout

rossm

I am only a kit brewer, never reckoned I needed to go any further, my favourite origional bitter is as good as I need a beer. I have tried a few mixtures and variations though, and the latest is a stout, similar to some of the recipies I have seen on here. 1 can Coopers stout, 1 can Coopers Classic Dark and 500gm Coopers light dry Malt. 23l water, both yeasts and let 'er go, she boiled over and generally went berserk for a couple of days, then settled down and ticked along for ten days, looked and smelled pretty good at bottling, and I cracked one the other night at only three weeks in the bottle. Black as a black trackers knackers, great head and head retention and tasted bloody beautiful. just goes to prove, why would you need to go to all the trouble of mashing and boiling and carrying on when you can make such a great beer so easily?

G'day Peter,

I have no idea, I have never used a hydrometer since I started brewing, seems to me someone here could give you an educated guesstamation, plenty of people seem to just know what the % should be........I wouldn't have a clue. In light of my liver condition I will only ever be having one longneck on a given night anyway so it is not that important to me.

Thanks Paul, if had to guess I would have thought somewhere around that but I really wouldn't have a clue.

I got a favourable report on my liver today, it is not as bad as it could have been, and I don't think caused...well totally, caused by drinking, the scare has made me a lot more aware of the down side of drinking too much so I will be taking it a lot easier from here on.

Hi Paul & Ross,

Thanks for the feed back, I think I will just plod along with a tin of concentrate & 500g of BE2. I like to keep it on the light side, down around 3%. At present I have 2 brews a Nut Brown Ale & a Pale Ale working away on the kitchen bench.

Regards to all,

Peter

Hey R Magnay, I see you like to do a bitter as your standard drop. Do you just do the regular blend (as per packet directions), or do you add something to it? And how long do you leave it from bottling to drinking?

Also, that stout sounds great. I do one with a Cooper's Stout, a 1kg bag of "Guinness Mix" from the local home brew shop (powdered corn syrup, dark & light dried malt) + 750g dextrose, and a bag of Fuggles hops. It comes out a treat, but your's sounds easier. I might give it a try and get some stout ready for the cooler weather soon.

G'day SCB,

Coopers origional bitter, 1Kg Coopers BE2 primed with white sugar. I have a custom built brewroom which I maintain 22-23C and because I never use a hydrometer I leave on for about ten days and bottle. I try and leave it in the brew room for 3 months before drinking, and since the doc cut me back on drinking, that is a lot easier to do now! (I usd to find it hard to keep in front before) When I was told to cut back my alc. consumption, I tried making it with 500gm of BE2 and that was ok too, but I think now I have have decided to stick with quality and opt for moderation.............I'm having too much fun to not be here! :wink:

• 2 weeks later...
just goes to prove' date=' why would you need to go to all the trouble of mashing and boiling and carrying on when you can make such a great beer so easily?[/quote']

sure, you can make nice kit beers, but if you like things such as variations in aroma, head, mouthfeel, lacing, etc. sometimes you just need more than what a kit can offer. Its that simple.

I want to know how I can buy unhopped Coopers Extra Light Malt Extract, so I can steep specialty grains, and make a boiling hop tea to do my own bittering and flavour hopping. There is no mashing required to do this, just boil some grains to give you roasted flavour/colour if necessary, and supply the necessary hops for what you want.. e.g. Saaz/Amarillo/POR or whatever takes your fancy, depending on the style you want. Extract/steep brews are damn good substitutes without all the hassle of mashing, but still providing a whole lot more than a regular kit brew.

Paul, are cans of Coopers XLME available at all? I know I can buy a 28kg drum from Grumpys, but that is a hell of a lot, and I am worried it will become infected.

cheers,

Kieran

The product in the 1.5kg Light Malt Can is extra-light malt.

Why not buy one of the more lightly bittered Home Brew cans (Pale Ale, Mexican Cerveza, or Wheat Beer) and use as a base for recipes?? This will save having to boil as long to extract bitterness from the hops.

Remove the airlock and the lid. Rest a sheet of clingwrap over the opening while you are cleaning and sanitsing the airlock and lid then refit them.

or

Start using the clingwrap method.

I have just started a brew of this Stout. 1 x stout can, 1 x dark ale can & 500g Light Dry Malt. Filled it up to 23lt, hydrometer reading: 1.046, sprinkled the yeast on top with the temp at 30deg C (I always have trouble getting it any lower), screwed the lid on, inserted the airlock.

Ready for blastoff! :shock:

I'm thinking of naming it something along the lines of Toucan because of the recipe. I'll work on a lable too.

The cling wrap method:- Use the o ring in the lid as your rubber band and put a pin hole in the cling wrap.

Yep, odds on that your brew will blow through the airlock.

You need to create more headspace if you can't get the temp down. Get yourself a bigger fermenting vessel or reduce the total volume to about 18litres - as soon as the foaming has subsided carefully add cool boiled water to top it up to the 23litre mark.

I noticed the recipes you guys post for stout say 1 x stout can. Are you referring to the standard white label stout can, or the black label irish stout can?

I just tried my first Irish stout a couple of days ago (black can made to coopers instructions) and it came out great. I am keen to make some stout variations.

Yep, if it says "1 x stout" it would be the Original Series Stout.

Good to hear that you like the Irish Stout - I designed it to come out somewhere between a Murphy's and a Guinness in the 440ml can.

More variations of Stout recipes in the Jul'04, Oct'06 and Apr'07 (about to go to print) newsletters.

You can download newsletters from here:

http://www.coopers.com.au/club/default. ... newsletter

Good to hear that you like the Irish Stout - I designed it to come out somewhere between a Murphy's and a Guinness in the 440ml can.

I'll give you a pat on the back Paul, that's a fantastic stout IMHO

24 hours after putting my brew down it was frothing like a rampant volcano! The froth had come out of the airlick and spilled down it and onto the lid (lucky the lid is lick a little dish - it caught all the spillage). I took the lid off carefully, covered the drum with cling wrap and cleaned it all off with soap and then boiling water. Replaced the lid and now it's bubbling away just like a normal brew.

Image004.jpg[/img]

Now I've got the two can bug!

Just put down 2 x Original Stouts

150g Chocolate malt steeped for 20 mins

12g Goldings hops (steeped with the malt in the coffee plunger)

500g dextrose

Wyeast 1056 American Ale yeast

Final volume 21 lt

• 2 weeks later...

My stout no where near frothed up like that.

Maybe it's the yeast I used.

I kept the temp to around 20 as well.

I racked last weekend and added a stocking of Goldings hops - 12g.

Going to keg it next week.

Yep, if it says "1 x stout" it would be the Original Series Stout.

More variations of Stout recipes in the Jul'04, Oct'06 and Apr'07 (about to go to print) newsletters.

You can download newsletters from here:

http://www.coopers.com.au/club/default. ... newsletter

I just put down an Irish Stout as per the recipe on the can and the SG reading was 1.031. Does that sound about right? It sounds low to me.

Archived