Coopers Community

kegging beer

bitterman

I am thinking of kegging my home brew, but dont know where to start, is it easy to get kegs, regulator etc., do you have to age beer in kegs before drinking, are there any useful books or websites that you know of to help me out, I am keen to take the next step just need a little push, any help would be good. Thanks.

Kegging is a great way to not have to bottle. Kegs, regs, lines, gas etc can be got from any good HBS. You don't have to age beer in kegs if you are force carbonating them, if you have cold conditioned your brew then it can go from the fermenter to the tap in an hour or so.

Try the Kegging section of the Homebrew and Beer forum for some good tips.

Cheers,

Greg

Yep, there are a number of us on this forum who keg. I secondary ferment my kegs (in the same way as the Coopers kegged commercial ales). But each to their own.

Do a search in this forum on "keg" or "kegging" and you should come up with heaps of ineresting posts to read.

Get your regulator, taps, lines, connectors etc. from eBay.

Cheapest gear going around.

I also naturally condition the keg and have found a great website for calculating sugar amounts to use.

http://www.tastybrew.com/calculators/priming.html

Just remember to use an online conversion website to convert gallons to litres etc. :wink:

Cheers,

Luke.

• 3 weeks later...

I force carbonate, because some of the beers I want, I want them clear. So I use clarifiers to remove any chill haze, and any non-flocculant yeast that are still in solution. After this, I transfer to a serving keg, and force carbonate. The first couple of schooners/pots aren't full of yeast sediment this way, at least, and I have a nice clean beer.

• 1 month later...

Thanks for all the info guys, you've finally enlightened me to give kegging a go, just put to bed two batches of pale ale one of which I intend to naturally condition and age a bit and the other I'll force carbonate in the keg so I can enjoy straight away (almost)

thanks again

Archived