Coopers Community

first

zeke.damien

well people this is the first time i am acutally making beer, i decided i would buy a stout *drink that at the bowls club*

now can anyone give me hints and tips

btw dad has made home made beer before *wheat beer* pretty darn strong and tasted awsome 1 bottle could get ya plastered

i am using his brew kit, heating thingo the funny bendy thing that goes on the top

so yeah someone help me

Welcome to our forum! Don't be afraid to use the search function.

Some points to keep in mind:

Good cleaning and sanitation,

Quality ingredients,

Temperature control - generally, the lower end of the recommended range is best,

Only bottle once Final Gravity is achieved,

Be patient - the brew, particularly stout, will improve with bottle age,

Take note of what you are doing so you have more chance of repeating it.

You could start with dowloading the instruction booklet in the "Make Beer" Section. There is also a stout recipe in this section.

http://www.coopers.com.au/homebrew/makeBeer.php

The October2006 and July2004 newsletters also have stout recipes and you can download them from here:

http://www.coopers.com.au/club/default. ... newsletter

You don't need to make a high alcohol brew to make a nice tasting brew.

• 2 weeks later...

.....And add one more simple step.

Buy some chocolate malt from your local brew shop.

Steep 150g in a coffee plunger for 20 minutes and add that!

Roasty flavours coming your way! :wink:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 years later...

G'day fellow brewers!

I'd like to break the ice with my first post here. I've brewed into bottles years ago, but I am today please to announce I have finally pulled off a homebrew draught beer. (Cooper Real Ale, 1kgs Dextrose + 500gms Light Dry Malt).

Btw, I add the LDM by mistake, mixed up the recipes, and I'm feeling the effects now, just quietly.

I forced carbonated this morning and had a beer at noon. At that stage, so far so good. Very morish!

My wife arrived home at 4pm and said, what's the mess under the fridge?

Would you believe the beer line froze and got a small hole in it. I estimate about 15 litres got through that damn hole. Hopefully, there's enough left for tonight's mission.

Now the question. Are the beer line that weak they will split when frozen, or did I get a faulty one?

Here cheers to all, and good health!

Howdy and welcome.

It is too had to say if you have a faulty line or not. The lines generally wont freeze to a point that they rupture.

You say it's been a while since you brewed, how old are your lines?

For a matter of a few dollars and ease of mind, I'd replace all of them, even the gas lines.

Edit: forgot to mention, I reckon you would have had a better brew if you had about 300g Dex and 1kg LDM.

Welcome to the Coopers Forum JackDrinksbeer.

Firstly the LDM you added made your brew better than it would have been without it. However the final ABV of the beer would have been approx. 1.0% lower without the added LDM.

As far as the problem with your beer line leaking, I'd sit closer to the fridge! [lol]

No, just kidding. Without knowing the construction of your kegging system, whether it was a pre-made & packaged system, or one you put together yourself, I would only be speculating about how the leak actually occurred.

Purely brainstorming, I would certainly look at what material those lines are made of. Whether the line that failed was cramped or positioned awkwardly or tightly in the space it was confined in. And finally what temperature the chilling fridge/freezer runs at to see whether that was a contributing factor in causing the material of the line to split.

I hope you find a speedy solution to the problem.

Beer.

Thanks chaps for the feedback!

My beer line, indeed the entire system except the fridge is brand new. My fridge is a 25yo "Astor" with a cooling element at the top of the fridge compartment.

I decide to wrap the beer line underneath this...evidently my downfall, must of got a bit cold and tight, maybe?

I think I'll put this down as a teething issue. So far with the kegging idea, I am very impressed.

Just gotta find the perfect recipe!

Archived