Coopers Community

Mr Sinister dry hopping?

Ramjet

Put down a Mr Sinister late last night, and while mixing it couldn't help but think of Vincent Price saying something like: "Igor, go down to the dungeon and fetch me the darkest malts you can find - but hurry, the storm's brewing outside! Bwah-ha-ha" (Just my over-fertile imagination...)

Anyway, where was I - IAW the recipe, pitched at 19C, and now reducing to 13C in the 'new' bar fridge.

Recipe is:

1.7Kg Coopers Dark Ale

1.5Kg Dark LME

1Kg Dextrose

300g roasted barley (cold steeped 24hrs)

2 x 11.5g W34/70

Would it benefit from dry hopping to counter the malts, or is it a chewy malty style anyway?

• Haha 1

Hi Roger.

I've never liked dry hopping my darker beers. Partly because I prefer to let the malts shine, and also because you'd need a fair few hops to break through all the dark malt flavours, especially the RB.

It's all a matter of preference though, and I know there are people out there who dry hop absolutely everything, stouts included. I'm just not one of them.

Sounds like it'll be a cracker though. Drool emoticon.

• 7 years later...
On 12/28/2013 at 8:08 AM, Ramjet said:

Put down a Mr Sinister late last night, and while mixing it couldn't help but think of Vincent Price saying something like: "Igor, go down to the dungeon and fetch me the darkest malts you can find - but hurry, the storm's brewing outside! Bwah-ha-ha" (Just my over-fertile imagination...)

Anyway, where was I - IAW the recipe, pitched at 19C, and now reducing to 13C in the 'new' bar fridge.

Recipe is:

1.7Kg Coopers Dark Ale

1.5Kg Dark LME

1Kg Dextrose

300g roasted barley (cold steeped 24hrs)

2 x 11.5g W34/70

Would it benefit from dry hopping to counter the malts, or is it a chewy malty style anyway?

What does the LME generates to the brewing? More body? Extra flavour?  That's a doubt I ve done to myself lately?

What's the difference between dry malt or liquid?

Thnx

10 minutes ago, mrchino73 said:

What does the LME generates to the brewing? More body? Extra flavour?  That's a doubt I ve done to myself lately?

What's the difference between dry malt or liquid?

Malt of any kind is a fermentable to greater or lesser extent, or a 'sugar' if you prefer. But normal sugar, dextrose, sugar, raw sugar, dark sugar etc. ferment pretty much 100% while malts usually leave some unfermentable sugars behind, which gives body, (mouth feel) and better head to the beer.

Some people swear LME is better than DME in a beer - personally I haven't noticed any particular effect but I also haven't done a side-by-side comparison either.  The colours have to do with how long the grain is roasted I think - so dark LME or dark DME will darken the beer and light of either shouldn't have much effect on colour.

Coopers LME cans are 1.5 kg but there is still water in there (to make it liquid) so the equal amount in dry malt extract is about 1.2 kg.

• Like 1