Coopers Community

Mixing Ginger Beer and Apple Cider Kits?

DavidA22

Hi guys,

Looking to try something new for summer and was thinking about trying out a mix of a Coopers ginger beer kit and another Apple Cider kit along with some fruit, 'spices' etc etc.

Has anyone here ever tried mixing the 2 kits?

What were the results like?

Any recipe's about?

Cheers [biggrin]

Dave

I have never done a ginger beer or cider brew.

But I have seen Bulmers Ginger Cider at the bottleshop the other day. I haven't tried it (afraid[unsure])but thought if you haven't that might help the research process.

Anyways - no one else has jumped in, but I'll just experiment this weekend and pick up a ginger beer and apple cider kit. Will also be using 3 - 4 ltrs of apple juice, along with some honey and a dash of vanilla. I will use both packets of yeast.

Will post gravity readings etc tomorrow.

Cheers,

Dave

Well got the brew on over the w.e.

Smells awesome, taste was verrrry sweet tho so I was a bit concerned for the yeast. The next day the airlock was bubbling away though so that's a good sign.

Looks like if will be reasonably strong for a HB cider....the only thing is though, I have 2 different hydrometers that give different readings...

The plastic coopers one was 1046

The glass LHBS one was at about 1050!

Not sure which to trust?

Anyways, will let it do it's thing and hoping the sweetness subsides a bit.

Witht he Blackrocks Cider - the only one with only apples that I have seen - I recommend a champagne yeast, the supplied cider yeast gives an odd vinegary taste when fermented at high temps. This subsides but takes sometime. The wine type yeasts are superb and come out nice and dry and clean, great for summer.

I may throw some ginger in the next one.

Archived