Coopers Community

American Brown Ale Experiment

DaveH21

Hi Guys

I've bottled my American Amber Ale and I'm looking forward to trying it in a couple of weeks.

As it starts to get colder here, my tastes preferences are swinging to the Amber & Brown Ales. I was going to try Muddy's Brown Ale, but I thought I might experiment a little.

I'm thinking;

Thomas Coopers IPA

Muntons Liquid Amber Malt 1.5kg (60% Crystal Malt, 40% Pale Malt)

US-05 Yeast

30g Cascade dry hop day 3

My thinking here is that I like the caramel/toffee notes in this style, but 60% Crystal Malt seems a lot to me. So my rationale is that the extra bitterness in the IPA tin may help to balance the excess Crystal Malt a little better?

What do you guys think? Am I better off just going with Muddy's Dark Can recipe or PB2's Nut Brown Ale?

Thanks in advance !

I reckon that recipe will be a bit too sweet (at least for my tastes). I had a couple of glasses of the Muddy Brown last noght and it is a fine drop. I had thought I may add a short boil to up the bitterness next time I make it but have now decided the simple version is pretty much perfect. I think it will be my go-to recipes when I want a quick keg filler.

My vote is for a muddy brown over the nut brown - but I shouldn't really have a vote on the matter [innocent]

Hey Muddy - this is the one you mean right?

Muddy's Downtown Brown

1 x Coopers OS Dark Ale

1kg LDM

250g light crystal/caramalt steeped

250g Dextrose

Repitched US-05

I'll make the final decision on dry hopping when I actually do it but it will probably be something along the lines of 25g Cascade and 25g Centennial....and maybe a little something added to the keg....amarillo, mosaic???

I had thought I may add a short boil to up the bitterness next time I make it but have now decided the simple version is pretty much perfect.

Funny you should say mate, Im worried about the bitterness of mine, I also dry hopped on day 5 with 25g Coloumbus 25g Cascade and 25g Willamette.

Hey Muddy - this is the one you mean right?

Muddy's Downtown Brown

1 x Coopers OS Dark Ale

1kg LDM

250g light crystal/caramalt steeped

250g Dextrose

Repitched US-05

I'll make the final decision on dry hopping when I actually do it but it will probably be something along the lines of 25g Cascade and 25g Centennial....and maybe a little something added to the keg....amarillo, mosaic???

Yep, that's the one (made to 21L) Don't be afraid to up the dry hopping if you want - It can handle it [devil]

Back from the home brew shop - only problem was that they had sold out of Light Dry Malt

So I'm going with;

1 x OS Dark Ale

1kg of Amber Dry Malt

250g Crystal Malt (thrown in boiling water, flamed out and steeped 30 mins)

300g BE2

US-05 (pitched at 23, cooled to 18 within 9 hours)

25g Galaxy, 25g Cascade dry hopped at 3-4 days.

Looking forward to this one [roll]

So I'm going with;

250g Crystal Malt (thrown in boiling water, flamed out and steeped 30 mins)

25g Galaxy, 25g Cascade dry hopped at 3-4 days.

I like the hops, I love them [love] [love]

The crystal malt; I've never treated it that way, perhaps some do, however I find it works great oven steeped at 65'C for 30 minutes. I boil the jug and let cool, turn the oven on @ 65', when the jug is down to 70'C I pour 1.5l into my pot and stir, put the lid on and pop it in the oven. I also don't squeeze the grains when straining and after the initial strain I rinse with another 1.5l of 70'C water. then bring to a rolling boil.

Thanks Scottie

I was planning on using PB2's instructions for the crystal malt in his Nut Brown Ale recipe

e.g. put the cracked grain in the boiling water, stir it, flame out and let rest for 30 mins

I'm only guessing but I believe this sterilises the crystal malt ????

I wouldn't put them in boiling water. I'd take it off the flame first and leave it 10 mins or so. I used to use Scottie's method when I was doing kits and bits brews except I didn't put it in the oven, as temperature isn't as much of an issue with steeping specialty grains compared to mashing base malts etc.

The boil after removing the grains and rinsing them is what sterilizes the mixture and kills off any bugs.

Clearly I am not in a position to challenge this method. I steep then boil to sanitise, always have and the results are great and therefore I have no reason to try the other method(s).

EDIT: Again, One minute and 5 seconds

Archived