Coopers Community

Hoping someone has a long memory

DaveH21

Hi Guys

during my 1st period of brewing back in the late 80's (when we still brewed with CSR Sugar), I bought an English Kit of Nut Brown Ale. It is still the best beer I ever made.

It came in a swish cardboard box with the can, plus malt and was built to be a 9% alcohol beer (it was too and that has a funny story to go with it)

I can't remember the name of the kit, but I would love to make an Ale like that again - e.g. dark brown, nutty sweet malty flavour and high alcohol (e.g. 9%)

Does anyone have an idea of how I would put a beer like that together? I imagine I would need a special yeast to handle that alcohol.

Does anyone remember that type of beer kit ?- it was definitely english but I can't remember the brand.

Regards

Dave

G'day Dave,

I don't know about the particular kit that you are thinking about but I do know of a recipie in the How to Brew section under Ale called Nut Brown Ale. Not sure if this is what you are looking for but might be worth a look. I made it once and it turned out to be quite a nice drop.

I don't think it will be 9% either, but wouldn't mind hearing a funny story though....!!!

Wal

Well it was a dark brown ale, with a very slight reddish tinge when held up to the light.

And it was 9% too.

Myself and a mate sat down to watch the 1989 Sydney Rugby League Grand Final. We started drinking it about 12:30pm and the game didn't start until 3pm in those days.

So this Ale is supposed to be 9%. At half time in the final (about 4pm), we start to question if it can possibly be 9% alcohol, as we have been drinking it solidly for 4 hours and we are not feeling the slightest effects.

Neither of us can remember the 2nd half [innocent]

Well it was a dark brown ale, with a very slight reddish tinge when held up to the light.

And it was 9% too.

Myself and a mate sat down to watch the 1989 Sydney Rugby League Grand Final. We started drinking it about 12:30pm and the game didn't start until 3pm in those days.

So this Ale is supposed to be 9%. At half time in the final (about 4pm), we start to question if it can possibly be 9% alcohol, as we have been drinking it solidly for 4 hours and we are not feeling the slightest effects.

Neither of us can remember the 2nd half [innocent]

I hope you have seen a replay, it was one of the best grand finals of all time (excluding every grand final the Bulldogs have won).

Come to think of it, it must have been the 1990 grand final - it was penrith & canberra.

And I'm a Doggy too Hairy [biggrin]

It must have been a strong beer if it wiped out your memory for 12 months [lol]

Archived