Coopers Community

Suggested change to Cooper Dark Recipe - any thoughts

MikeS16

HI Guys/Gals... at a brew shop today and were talking about the Coppers Dark Recipe (made from Pale).

The Brewer suggested to skip the sugar (200gm) and use a full can of Dark Malt extract.(rather than 1/2 a can)

I was also going to use the yeast I am growing yeast from 6 pale stubbies.

I welcome any suggestions on how this may come out (with the extra dark malt). Also any suggestion on adding anything else? (ie use pale yeast or packet yeast?)

Thanks

I reckon that would be nice.

1.7kg Coopers Pale Ale

1.5kg dark LME

The recultured yeast will go nicely with it too.

Perhaps you could add some hops. Maybe EKG or Cascade if you want something a bit fruitier.

I reckon that would be nice.

1.7kg Coopers Pale Ale

1.5kg dark LME

The recultured yeast will go nicely with it too.

Perhaps you could add some hops. Maybe EKG or Cascade if you want something a bit fruitier.

how much Cascade??

Disclaimer - I have never made the "Dark Ale" before (why try to replicate something that is already perfect?).

I have used the Dark liquid malt before and it always seems too overpowering to me. Coopers Dark Ale isn't pitch black - it's a nice dark brown, easy to drink a few in a sessions.

So, I whacked the ingredients from the How To Brew into IanH's spreadsheet.

The full can makes it really dark. Half a can looks good. But using half a can is pain in the butt, so I thought dark dry malt extract might be an idea.

I entered 2kg dark DME and it's still not as dark as half a can of the LME.

I am not sure if Mike is trying to clone Coopers Dark Ale or just making a dark beer.

I have used the full can of dark liquid malt before and I don't find it overpowering at all. Although most the time when I have used it I have done so in conjunction with liquid malt extract. Not sure if that makes a difference but it is definitely tasty [love]

I guess it is all about personal taste. The best way to find out is to make it and try it. If you find it too overpowering then scale it back next time.

Thanks for all your help.

Do think the coopers Dark is the nest dark out there - Just looking to get a next dark. Will go with the full can and add hops.

HOPs (this is only my 5 brew so i dont have any idea what i am actually doing)

- So I boil 20g in say a 1 ltr of water 10 Mins

- In fermentor with cans

- Then add cool water

- Then at 22c add yeast

- Day 4 add balance of Hops??

Does that sound right?

Also, not really happy with the commercial yeast yet??? hasnt seemed to grow...? so may use packet.

Should I use packet Yeast with the can? or buy a specific type?

Thanks again...

Kit yeast will be fine with this one.

As for the hop boil, it is best to boil the hops in wort at 1030 to 1040 gravity. Add 100g of malt per litre of water, bring to boil and then add the hops. When finished this can be strained into the FV to use as the hot water to disolve the rest of the malt.

Dry hopping around day 3-4 is fine.

Just a note, I don't actually measure the malt for these small short boils, just a guess is fine.

Archived