Coopers Community

Pacific Ale

My son gave me a recipe for Pacific Ale made by a friend of his and said it was one of the nicest beers he has ever tasted. As I'm new to brewing other than Coopers kits I am not sure of how to go about making this but would like to try. I've just bought a new fridge as our existing one will be used for brewing along with an STC-1000 temp controller which I am waiting for. I've spent quite a bit of time on this forum and it appears there are a lot of very capable brewers out there. If someone has the time I would really appreciate some guidance as to what I need to do to make the following recipe.

PACIFIC ALE

80% two row ale malt

20% wheat malt

All Galaxy- No bittering addition, just 20,10,50,and 0.

Really heavy from about 10 on. Also copious amounts of Galaxy for the dry hop.

Wyeast 1056 (American Ale I)

Mash very low at 64-65 to keep the beer very dry.

I use all grain but can use extract.

As I'm new to brewing other than Coopers kits I am not sure of how to go about making this but would like to try.

PACIFIC ALE

80% two row ale malt

20% wheat malt

All Galaxy- No bittering addition, just 20,10,50,and 0.

Really heavy from about 10 on. Also copious amounts of Galaxy for the dry hop.

Wyeast 1056 (American Ale I)

Mash very low at 64-65 to keep the beer very dry.

I use all grain but can use extract.

Trab

I'm not an All Grain Brewer but from what I understand the step that you're proposing is quite huge. To make this beer you will need some special equipment and techniques. Others will sonn advise you on how to do it.

If it were me, and I think this is the natural progression, I would take the route of, Kits and spec grains, All Extract, Partials then All Grain.

If you are interested in Pacific Ale, Sound Awake has a nice one here Stone and Wood Pacific Ale. A much easier version of the beer to brew.

You could go (based on a basic 3 vessel homebrew system)

4kg 2 row

1kg Wheat

Mash in at 71\xb0c/16L water for 1 hour at 65\xb0c

Mash out with 8L at 100\xb0c for 15 mins at 75\xb0c

Sparge with 7L at 76\xb0c

Preboil should be close to 24L (I use a 1.45 absorbtion rate at home because thats around what I get from Craftbrewers grain\\crush)

Post boil should hit near 23L after 30mins and OG should hit near to 1.050. and an SRM of 3

Galaxy additions based on 13% AA:

15 @ 20

15 @ 15

20 @ 10

20 @ 5

25 @ F/O

Dry to your liking if required

42 IBU's

Wyeast 1056 @ 75% attenuation should pull and FG around 1.012 which will give you 5.1% ABV before priming.

If you prefer to use a dry yeast then use one packet of US-05 and ferment at 18 degrees.

Trabfountain, if you get more details from your son's friend on the recipe we can convert it to a kit or extract brew. He didn't really give you a recipe, just some guidelines.

Ask for:

OG and FG

Volume

AA% of hops

Qty of each hop addition

Archived