Adz

Hi All,

Currently working on a Dunkelweizen recipe:

Thomas Coopers Wheat 1.7kg

Coopers Amber Malt Extract 1.5kg

Dark Crystal Malt 250g (steeped @ 70C)

Chocolate Malt 50g (steeped @ 70C)

Using WB06 Yeast

This is what I have so far. The kit designer spreadsheet is helping and indicating that I can perhaps add another adjunct in to increase alcohol. Would Honey be okay in this instance?

Anyone ever make one of these?

Also, what hops would be good for this? I have been reading up on Hallertau .

Any advice would help.

Adz

Hi Adz

Dunkelweizen is one of my fave beer [love] I haven't made one because Weihenstephaner's one is perfect! But it's on my list. I did a Hefeweizen though and learnt a lot, and will be applying to a recipe very very soon!

I used Weihenstephaner yeast from white labs their yeast

Instead of the chocolate malt, perhaps use chocolate wheat. You don't want to increase the barley content too much. I believe wheat malt (and the wheat beer can) is about 60% barley, 40% I believe.

If possible, add some more wheat malt - i.e. the TC wheat malt or some dry wheat malt.

Additional hops probably won't be required as it's all about the yeast in a weizen (hence HEFEweizen - YEASTwheat)

I hope that helps

[EDIT]

For example....

1 x TC Wheat Beer

1 x TC Wheat Malt

300g Chocolate Wheat

Wyeast 3068

23 Litres.

Hey Adz

Adam nailed it. I made something very similar. I made to 23L:

1.70kg wheat kit

1.50kg wheat LME

0.25kg choc wheat malt

0.10kg light DME

WB06 yeast.

There's no need to add any hops. I only added the DME to increase the alcohol. You could get the same effect by dropping the volume to 22L.

-Dyl

Hey Adz

Adam nailed it. I made something very similar. I made to 23L:

1.70kg wheat kit

1.50kg wheat LME

0.25kg choc wheat malt

0.10kg light DME

WB06 yeast.

There's no need to add any hops. I only added the DME to increase the alcohol. You could get the same effect by dropping the volume to 22L.

-Dyl

How was it Dyl? What temp did you ferment at? I fermented my Hefeweizen at 22 degrees. I also made a starter.

Adz, the weizen yeast will give you different characteristics at temperature and also with the amount of yeasties there are.

The classic and most popular German wheat beer strain used worldwide. This yeast strain produces a beautiful and delicate balance of banana esters and clove phenolics. The balance can be manipulated towards ester production through increasing the fermentation temperature' date=' increasing the wort density, and decreasing the pitch rate. Over pitching can result in a near complete loss of banana character. Decreasing the ester level will allow a higher clove character to be perceived.[/quote']

Thanks for the advice so far, very helpful [biggrin] . I shouldn't have purchased these ingredients so quickly.

Dyl, did you get enough colour out of the choc wheat?

WB06 is still relevant enough for this yes? However I do like the idea of banana with 3068

Hey guys

The beer turned out really great. Plenty dark enough.

I also fermented at around 22-24\xb0C. Around this temp is good, as you get all of the wheat yeast esters (which defines the style).

I found the WB06 yeast to be good. I'm sure the Wyeast is probably better. They'll both give the wheat yeasty, banana taste.

Adz, I wouldn't be concerned if you've already bought the ingredients. You could buy another kit (e.g. a Real Ale), and some American or British hops, and make a killer Amber/brown ale (i.e. Real ale + amber can + some of the dark crystal + hops).

Recipes like Adam's or mine (they're VERY similar), are in my opinion, the best quality beer to effort ratio that I've encountered.

-Dyl

Thanks for the advice guys. Very helpful. I have saved the other Malts for an Amber Ale and purchased other Malts for the next few brews.

Tonight I'll be putting together

TC Wheat 1.7kg

TC Wheat Malt 1.5kg

Choc Wheat 200g

Caramel Wheat 200g

WB06

Cheers

Adz

• 1 month later...

Hey Adz, did you brew your dunkelweizen?

I plan to do a dunkelweizen as my next up recipe, but I am maximising the wheat (the briess bavarian wheat is 65% wheat to 35% barley). This is my planned recipe....

23 litres

1.500 kg Briess Bavarian Wheat Malt LME

1.000 kg Briess Bavarian Wheat Malt DME

0.700 kg Wheat Malt, Dark

0.300 kg Wheat, Caramel

0.200 kg Wheat Malt, Chocolate

Mini-mash with the grains.

30.0 g Hallertau Mittlefrueh @ 60 Minutes

Fermented at 20\xb0C with Wyeast 3068 - Weihenstephan Weizen which I will be making up as a starter.

If that looks like being toooo much wheat then I have a can of TC Wheat Malt (50% barley 50% wheat) that I can use instead of one of the Briess malts.

I'm not sure if you take into account the specialty grains when working out the wheat/barley percentage. If you do you get the following:

2.825kg - Wheat

0.875kg - Barley

That means wheat is 76% of the grain bill. The assumption with this calculation is that grain & extract are same but it gives you an idea.

So after all that I guess my answer is I don't know [biggrin]

It will be interesting to brew though.

I'm not sure if you take into account the specialty grains when working out the wheat/barley percentage. If you do you get the following:

2.825kg - Wheat

0.875kg - Barley

That means wheat is 76% of the grain bill. The assumption with this calculation is that grain & extract are same but it gives you an idea.

So after all that I guess my answer is I don't know [biggrin]

It will be interesting to brew though.

Yeah I am - that's where I get the feeling that maybe there is too much wheat. But, the only way to truly know is to brew it [kissing]

When I get closer to brew day I may swap the Briess LME for the Coopers. We shall see how I feel on the day [devil]

[EDIT] and thanks for getting your calculator out Hairy [biggrin]

Hey Adz, did you brew your dunkelweizen?

Yeah, I ended up brewing it I left it in the FV and extra week after fermention. I bottled it 20 days ago.

Overall, the taste was great. It tasted like a dunkelweizen. It had that clover/banana taste and it was smooth. Also, I can taste the slight caramel taste.

Luckily I when I drink these, I only have one or two so this batch should last me awhile! :)

Just bottled my APA last night, sat in FV for 3 weeks after fermentation. I have been cutting back on the drinking recently [innocent] , but I won't stop brewing and storing them for awhile[love]

Great stuff Adz.

When I get my AG setup going I am going to try this.

Weihenstephan do the best IMO. Might have to try their Vitus too, that's a ridiculously good beer (winner of Worlds best wheat beer 2012, 2011 (also best beer overall in 2011). Had one on the weekend cos the dunkelweizen wasn't in stock. I also had one in Germany.. heaven.

I prefer the Franziskaner, but then again this was my first dunkelweizen. What you think of Franziskaner?

It's not too bad, but once you try the Weihenstephaner all others will pale in comparison [lol]

I get to go to Germany every now and then for work, so I always try the local hefe and dunkelweizen's. They know how to make beer in Germany [joyful]

• 2 weeks later...

Put my "Michael Clarke Dunkelweizen" down on Sunday. I used the following recipe:

0.7 kg Dark Wheat Malt

0.3 kg Caramel Wheat Malt

0.2 kg Chocolate Wheat Malt

(these were mashed in my 5L cooler with around 3L water, then sparged with another 5L - hopefully I've done it right)

0.5 kg Light DME

1.5 kg Briess Liquid Bavarian Wheat Malt (65% wheat, 35% barley)

0.8 kg Briess Dry Bavarian Wheat Malt (65% wheat, 35% barley)

46 grams Hallertauer Mittelfrueh

Wyeast 3068 2L starter

Boiled the liquor with the DME and the hops for 1 hour, chilled then strained into FV which had the Briess malts already in it. Topped up to 21 litres - took gravity here, which was 1.054. Then I added the starter to make it 23L.

It was around 22 degrees when I pitched and I set the temp controller to 21 degrees for 1 day, now it's at 20 degrees. Lovely delicous smell coming out of the FV with a 10cm Krausen. There was foam started after about 4 hours.

Should be around 69% wheat now Hairy after I added the DME.

565944_10151213885682397_13806609_n.jpg?oh=c1bdbad76b588b4fbc997a43c018b016&oe=51122DD4&__gda__=1360187962_6e76f35e7b3e49f7d4c7aed654ef63b4

• 3 weeks later...

Archived