Coopers Community

First Crack: True Brewed Lager

Thanks Philbo! [happy]

I'll definitely get to All Grain at some point down the track. The equipment to do that properly is second in the queue for me though.

A multitude of kegging gear is No.1 on my equipment hit list atm. I want to move up from bottling first. Being able to partial mash successfully has certainly opened the door a fair bit wider for me now in terms of the quality of beer I can now make. I can see myself experimenting in this phase for sometime.

BTW, Hiya Canuck! [biggrin]

Anthony.

Hi guys.

I allowed 24hrs to elapse with this lager brew @ 16\xb0C. On inspection of the FV, there were no obvious signs that ferment had started, so I went to bed & thought, I'll check it again in the morning.

Well at some point overnight, ferment got going. Damn Budvar yeast must have been suffering from jet lag or something & woke up thinking it was still somewhere in the Czech Republic! [pinched]

So I awoke this morning to the sound of a good steady bubbling from the FV. Immediately reset the temp controller to 11\xb0C, & went about my morning routines before I go to work.

Now I seem to have a bigger problem.

The brew fridge has done a good job to reduce the temperature down at a good rate. It is currently 13\xb0C & still dropping. The problem is my FV has stopped bubbling.

Has the yeast already brewed too quickly? Have I allowed too much time to pass before lowering the temperature? Or will the yeast re-engage?

If I wasn't paranoid about doing this brew beforehand, I certainly am now! [crying]

Anthony.

Did you use a yeast starter?

Don't rely on the airlock, may have just moved the FV slightly and not be air-tight anymore.

Never used Budvar but temperature range is 9-13 deg on the website, so I'd give it a bit of time to restart (if it has actually stopped).

Hey Lusty,

Remember that at lower tempseratures activity will be slower whether it's a lager or ale yeast. I'd say everything is fine.[wink]

I agree with Chad. Don't worry, it should be fine. If you are worried then take a gravity reading tomorrow and see if it has moved from OG.

Thanks for the reassurance guys, & you were all correct. I got home from work & the yeast had woken up again & is fermenting away nicely it seems.

Budvar.jpg

Budvar! Budvar! Budvar! [biggrin]

I'll shut up about this brew for a while now...

Cheers,

Anthony.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi guys.

I bottled this brew (Post#17 this thread) earlier today and was very happy with the small sample I tasted from the FV. I wasn't sure about what to expect. Maybe something foreign & almost European-like in flavour & aroma? However I was pleasantly surprised that it smelled & tasted very much like an Australian lager/draught style beer. [happy]

Final Gravity was 1.013 & I didn't do a diacetyl rest based on PB2's advice that the secondary bottle ferment will take care of that. The Budvar yeast has certainly done a good job & stamped it's profile on the beer, as has the Spalt hops in conjunction with the Saaz. Overall I'm very pleased with it so far.

6 weeks secondary fermentation will make it a nice drop to have a session with on Australia Day! [biggrin]

I'll probably sneak a few tasters early in the New Year though, just to see how they are progressing. [tongue]

I'll post my thoughts after the taste test.

Cheers,

Anthony.

Archived