Coopers Community

Fat Yak (AG)

A friend of mine loves Fat Yak so I opted to make him one to compare.

I am yet to ferment this and usually do not add a recipe until I at least try it. Nevertheless, I did a rendition of a Fat Yak yesterday and will have it in a fermenter within the next few days and will do a side by side testing with the real McCoy when it is finished.

The following is from the top of my head as I am at work and don't have the figures with me. What I can remember are:

=================================================

4kg JW Traditional Ale

400g Wheat

400g CaraAmber

400g Munich

10g Nelson Suvin @ 40

15g Nelson Sauvin in the Cube

15g Cascade in the Cube

20g Nelson Sauvin Dry Hop on day 1

20g Cascade Dry Hop on day 1

***Note: hops have been adjusted for no-chill***

1/2 Whirlfloc @ 15

Yeast = US05

Mash @ 66C for 75 min

Mashout for 10 minutes (well 11 really) @ 75C

OG 1049

Expected FG 1012

ABV 5%

Efficiency 70%

=================================================

This was the first time I didn't squeeze the bag and I did notice a big difference with regards to the clarity of the wort being a lot clearer going into the cube.

I'll provide an update when I have tasted it in a few weeks time.

Looks nice mate.

Having not used a wide variety of different malts in my AG beers, I was wondering what the Munich would bring to the brew? I read the description on CB, but was wondering what your take on it was?

I love making my own recipes, but I get confused about when I should use different base malts and to what end?

So far, apart from a wide range of specialty grains (crystal, cara, etc) I've only used wheat([love]), JWMTA, and Maris Otter.

What dictates when other malts (Munich, Vienna, etc) should be used?

Sorry if this is OT, but I've been itching to ask for a while.

I've got everything for this one but the Munich and CaraAmber so it might be on the cards. Thanks for the recipe Bill!

Having not used a wide variety of different malts in my AG beers' date=' I was wondering what the Munich would bring to the brew? I read the description on CB, but was wondering what your take on it was?[/quote']

I personally think that even though a Fat Yak has a heap of finishing hops it is still pretty sweet and malt driven. I am hoping the Munich should help achieve this and aid with the color as well. Even though I have done a few as Kits, I actually haven't done a Fat Yak AG so this is only my first take and am obviously yet to taste to give a more accurate assessment.

I love making my own recipes, but I get confused about when I should use different base malts and to what end?

So far, apart from a wide range of specialty grains (crystal, cara, etc) I've only used wheat([love]), JWMTA, and Maris Otter.

What dictates when other malts (Munich, Vienna, etc) should be used?

I could be wrong and stand to be corrected but will say that usually the style of the beer and/or the region is what primarily dictates the malts.

Sorry if this is OT, but I've been itching to ask for a while.

I've got everything for this one but the Munich and CaraAmber so it might be on the cards. Thanks for the recipe Bill!

No problems. I think it should be close but as I said, I am yet to try it. [unsure]

Looks good Bill.

What volume is it?

Also, when you cube hop, do you just drop them in loose and then strain the wort into the FV?

Oh yeah... that might help!... made 23L in the cube.

When I am cube hopping I will put the hops in a hop sock or similar which is removed when I transfer to the fermenter.

My dry hops go into a SS "hop ball" (tea infuser) and all my other hops get thrown into the boil Gangnam Style.

Archived