Coopers Community

Coopers Sparkling ale recipe

GrahamB8

Tryed this out of the keg lastnight

Combined the ingredients in the FV and added 25g Willamette at F/O and 25g after 5 days.

Fermented for 5 weeks @ 18\xb0c + 1 week at 1\xb0c.

Beer is clear as a whistle, force carbed at 10psi (not sure what that is in the scale) and is a very clean tasting beer, you wouldnt guess the 7% alc.

Here the thing though, for some reason I thought Willamette would be a nice aroma/flavour addition to the kit.....My friend thought it was really nice though he is a macro swiller, Im on the fence with the combination, does anyone know the malt make-up?

Maybe its a combination of the hops, malt and yeast thats not suiting my pallet....oh well I have 20L to get through now [annoyed]

Its funny, at the start of my brewing career I would have creamed my pants at the quality of this beer, now all I feel is a hint of disappointment.....beer snobery??

Hi GrahamB8.

Without knowing the exact recipe you put down it's hard for me to comment on where it fell over for you. I wouldn't have thought 25gms of Willamette at flameout would have been a forward aroma/flavour I would have been seeking for this style of beer (IMHO).

By chance did you run the recipe through any software or IanH's Spreadsheet against Coopers Own Best Recipe to give you a guide of how close your recipe was to recreating the Sparkling Ale at home?

If I wanted to drink Coopers Sparkling Ale as a homebrew, I'd be brewing their own best recipe first & trying that. Then if I wasn't completely satisfied, I'd tinker with it.

Beer.

Yeah Graham, I reckon you are just a beer snob. Welcome to the club! [biggrin]

I have no idea what the malt make-up of the Sparkling Ale kit. Have you used it previously? I have only used it once before and it isn't my favourite kit.

Hi Hairy.

I have no idea what the malt make-up of the Sparkling Ale kit. Have you used it previously? I have only used it once before and it isn't my favourite kit.

Thanks for making me feel good. I put a brew down yesterday with this kit as it's base! [unsure]

You BIG FUN spoiler! [tongue]

Beer.

I have only used it once before and it isn't my favourite kit.

+1 Hairy

I used the Sparkling Ale as per Dr Smurto's Golden Ale, up until at least 4 months it tasted exactly like a Coopers Sparkling Ale. After that I convinced myself that it kind of tasted like a JS GA. fifty grams of Amarillo totally overpowered by the Malt and hop makeup of the Sparkling Ale kit. Next time I will do either all unhopped malt extract or use the APA kit.

It was the beer of the month recipe kit Lusty, the ingredients weere as your link apart from a 2L starter of Safale 04 and the 50g of Willamette.

I didn't use that spreadsheet since I wasnt really tinkering with the IBU or the SRM and I dont usually care much for the ABV outcome but your right, I tinkered before understanding what I was tinkering with [innocent]

In my defence I didnt think what I did was that dramatic, sparkling ale with a British touch lol

GrahamB8, even from my limited exposure to your posts, I can already see that you are a more advanced brewer than I am. [cool]

Now that I know how the recipe was pre-constructed, I have far less questions. Actually, I have no more questions.

I was just trying to highlight areas so you could potentially eliminate certain questions in your own mind.

I enjoy your posts. [joyful]

Beer.

I have only brewed Coops Sparkling Ale as per the can Graham Mate& just put a 5 botts in the fridge to try tomorrow,have been drinking Coops Aust. Bitter THIS AFTERNOON as per can instuctions very nice i might say myself.

• 3 weeks later...

I just brewed up a Sparkling ale literally a few minutes ago. My OG was 1.049 at 22C. I brewed it as per the recipe on the site.

To anyone who has made the Sparkling Ale before, as per the site recipe of course, what were your OGs?

I just brewed up a Sparkling ale literally a few minutes ago. My OG was 1.049 at 22C. I brewed it as per the recipe on the site.

To anyone who has made the Sparkling Ale before, as per the site recipe of course, what were your OGs?

I've brewed the recipe a few times, it's best left to mature >3months. OG1052 FG1014/1012 ~5.7% ABV

Approx 1.064 (15.7 brix) I have noted, yours seems way low for those ingredients, did you make a 20L batch?

Archived