Coopers Community

Euro Lager Sulfur smell

PaulPablo

Hey guys

Ive brewed a Coopers Euro Lager with Chrystal/magnum hops and 1 kg malt extract and Saflager W34/70.Its been fermenting for a day now at 20C..That airlock is going crazy and i now started to smell a strong sulfur smell..

Is the beer spoiled now or can I still save it by putting it in my refridge that will be a constant 9C...if anyone could help.

Hey guys

Ive brewed a Coopers Euro Lager with Chrystal/magnum hops and 1 kg malt extract and Saflager W34/70.Its been fermenting for a day now at 20C..That airlock is going crazy and i now started to smell a strong sulfur smell..

Is the beer spoiled now or can I still save it by putting it in my refridge that will be a constant 9C...if anyone could help.

Yes, put it in the fridge at 9-12 degrees. The Sulphur smell is a normal part of brewing with a lager yeast, and nothing to worry about.

You'll end up with a steam beer maybe.. lager yeast is meant to be fermented around 10-12C, ale yeast around 18-20. I don't really know, you may get some unwanted off flavours from the high ferment temp, if it's anything like ale yeast in that regard. Someone with more knowledge should be able to help answer that question though.[biggrin]

A lager fermented at 20C = [sick]

I really wouldn't expect a good drop from this one. In fact it sounds pretty ordinary honestly.

Definitely put it in the fridge asap to hopefully improve your potential outcome.

I brewed a Pilsner with SAFLAGER yeast [at 15c] and the sulphur smell had my house stinking like the day after a night out on the town drinking and eating curry.[bandit] The pilsner turned out divine and the sulphur smell dissipated from both the beer and my house.

• 3 weeks later...

There are two Lager yeasts available from either Whitelabs and Wyeast that are the same strain and do an excellent job at ambient temperatures. These yeasts at Whitelabs WLP810 San Fransisco Lager Yeast and Wyeast's 2112 Californian Lager Yeast.

If you can't ferment at lower temperatures, these two yeasts give fantastic results at ambient temps. [cool]

Archived